'64 Caddy 2-speed tranny saga cont.

The gear selection indicator on the '64 Cadillac in question says P-R-N-D-L.<P>There is no indication of a "3rd speed". The tranny looks completely like the stock Cadillac hydramatic. I cannot tell a difference. Of the two times I drove the car, it ran great and the tranny only shifted once -- and very smoothly.<P>As I write, the car is being parted (the previous owner attempted a very poor restoration that caused substantial rust in and on the car), so I won't be trying to get it to shift into the mysterious "3rd speed". If it is indeed a 3-speed tranny, I can only wonder why Cadillac would trouble themselves with placing indicators for a two-speed tranny on this car.<P>Thanks for all your attempts to answer my question.<P>As for the hydramatic fire, 28,000 1953 Cadillacs were equipped with Buick Dynaflow transmissions. So by 1954 it appears the Dynaflow was no longer put in Caddies.<BR>

I think you got the 3 speed th400 like the Buicks which only listed L-D on the indicater. I had a 64 Electra I thought was a 2 speed until the muffler went and i could hear it shift. Very smooth.<P>------------------<BR>Mike<BR><A HREF="http://1964cadillac.carsouth.com" TARGET=_blank>1964 Cadillac & Classic car Photos<P>FREE! Cadillac parts posting</A>