1923 Lexington

Guest minuteman

Guest minuteman

I finally got my 1923 Lexington started and running...thank for everyone's help.

The problem now is...the gasoline vacuum tank woks for awhile and then the motor quits and seems to run out of gas.

If I can't fix the vacuum tank can I bypass it and install a 6Volt electric in-line fuel pump .

Minuteman, That's great news! I've followed the series of threads that you have created, each titled the same and could we keep them on just one thread instedad of making new ones? If we had I would know if you had dealt with the vacuum fuel system before. It sounds like it's full of junk. Do you have a sediment bowl between the fuel tank and the csrb? Have you opened the tap at the bottom of the tank? Ive had dusty rust ooze out like jelly before! Is your gas tank clean? any debris or water will be on the bottom of the tank. It sounds exactly like the flow of the tank is limited by crud build up and that it's flow cannot keep up with the flow of the carb needs. Adding a 6 volt pump creates a lot of other issues with overpressure, voltage flow, noise and loss of cool factor. I bet The Vacuum tank will work fine if its cleaned out.

Many vacuum tanks have a strainer in the top where the gas line comes in from the tank. Some also have a strainer at bottom, in a separate filter unit. If this is a Stewart vacuum tank, when you take the top off you need to ensure that the brass bushing that serves as a seat for a needle vavle is not loose in the pot metal casting. They tend to get loose and fall out, causing momentary flooding that can be mistaken for running out of fuel. Then the bushing will slip back into place the the problem is seemingly cured, until the next incident. Finally, the flapper vavle at the bottom of the inner tank should be clean and smooth, with the flapper forming a good seal against the valve body (I smoothed mine with 1000-grit wet sandpaper). A properly functioning vacuum tank is really quite effective and trouble free.

Guest minuteman

Hello

Thanks for all your help. I followed your advice..it did have rust & crap in it and the reason it wasn't drawing the gas from the tank...the gasket on the top of the vacuum tank was broken and falling apart.

I made a new gasket ,put it all back together, primed it a little, and it now runs great. Not bad since it hasn't run for 40-45 years.

Now I just need to find a chrome place up here in Ontario to send some parts.

Thanks again

Jack

I wouldn't get anything chromed on your 1923 Lexington, as chrome plating was not used in the automotive industry for a few years to come.

Correct. The hardware would be nickel plated in 1923.

Hello

Thanks again

Jack

Look up Cambridge Custom Chrome - www,cambridgecustomchrome.com They do triple plating (copper/nickel/chrome) and can do nickel only if that's what you need. They've been in business a long time.