Need VIN Decoder for 1964 Impala SS

Your VIN decodes as follows;<BR>1st. digit is the year..............1964<BR>Next 4 digits mean 8 cyl., 2 dr. hardtop sport coupe, Impala SS.<BR>The U is the assembly plant...Southgate, CA.<BR>136,131 is the sequence number. The first car was 10,001. So yours was the 126,131st. car built that year.<BR>Impala<BR>

Thanks a lot Impala! Hey, while we're at it here, when I go to look at this car, what questions should I ask and what should I inspect? It's being sold as "showroom stock" 99% restored.<P>I am new to classic cars, and don't wanna jump in blind ya know.<P>Thanks<BR>adept1

adept1;<BR>Strongly recommend buying this book and taking it with you when you look at the car. Chevrolet by the numbers for 60-64 models. Written by Alan L. Colvin. ISBN 0-8376-0936-4<BR>Published by Robert Bentley. This book decodes VIN plus trim tags (and much more). When you see the car write down every casting number you can find. These tell build dates and should preceed the build date (found on trim tag) of the car by only a reasonable amount of time,maybe 2 weeks to a month or so. If you want to get crazy (like me)you can even check the glass for date codes. Make sure the floors are sound and usually finished with a red primer type of paint with minimal undercoat. (See thread "is undercoating original?")Excess undercoat could be hiding sins. Obviously check everywhere for rust repair. I wouldn't be too concerned with the wrong color on brackets etc. because these can easily be corrected. Don't know how authentic you want to get but you can get right down to the paint dabs on suspension pieces etc. etc.(This requires a separate book) The 61 Impala convertible I am restoring was stored since 67 (with 10,330 miles) and everything was as delivered from the factory but I still documented everything.<BR>Let us know how you make out.<BR>Impala

Thanks again Impala. I ordered that book today. I'll try to look at the car this weekend if I've received the book by then. Here are a couple of pictures of the car:<P> 1964.jpg <P> 19642.jpg