Ford transmissions.

I have the 400 ci and FMX transmission in my 1966 F-100. I plan to rebuild the 400 and replace the FMX with a manual transmission. What options for transmissions do I have?

Is my problem stupid? Am I the only one that knows slim to none about transmissions? (and slim is out of town)or is it that no one helps the junior members?

Please be patient. Some of these geezers move slowly. Junior or Senior Member does not matter much. Interest in thread matters a lot.

As one of the supposed "geezers", maybe we are all confussed as to what a 400 Cu.In. engine is doing in a '66 F-100, and a FMX tranny. Is this original for the truck? Can you enlighten me on this so I can assist you better here in car land. After all, I can't accept your payment to us for a poor response.<P>Hello in junior land ?<P>

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Mike,<P>Cool out, man. Relax. Your problem is not stupid! And no, you are not the only one who knows little to nothing about transmissions. I know little to nothing about transmissions. That is why I didn't respond when I read your post the first time. As for not responding to the Junior Members, man, that was cold hearted! The folks on here respond to anyone, member, non-member, junior, senior, you name it. I had not noticed that you were a junior member until you pointed it out. The only reason no one has responded, is because the one with the answer hasn't read it yet. Just be patient. Someone who knows the answer to your question will read it and respond. Keep asking questions. This is a good group here, a wealth of combined knowledge.<P>Hal

Sorry, no offense intended...just a little frustrated.<P>The 400 and FMX should not be in this vehicle. I belongs to a '76 LTD... Laid to rest in the tomb of the unknown junk yard. Unfortunately, someone put it in my '66 F-100 (before I bought it). I saved the truck from a field in Jerkwater, NC. It was slowly sinking in the mud. Fortunately, two old tires had just enough air to keep it afloat. <P>At this time and driven by economics I am required to rebuild the 400 vs replacement to original parts. The engine is generally sound. During the bearing replacement (within engine in place)we attempted to replace the rear seal...Please pass the word that both front and rear seals in the 76 400 are rope seals. Of course we discovered this only after a few hours, a few beers, and a few bloody knuckles. The rear seal will leak a little until I can pull the engine for rebuild. (in the interim, we stuffed it with a adhesive and part of a <BR>real rear seal the auto parts store sold me).<P>Two questions...(three including the tranny)<P>1) The rain guard/lip around the cab top and the cab top is rusted badly. In addition, the windshield should be replaced. Can I find a replacement top and if so is the lip part of the body or top?<BR>The top appears to welded to the body. If I cut the top will I need to fabricate the lip?<P>2) The body mounts are near completely rusted and the rubber is shot. Are the mounts bolted or welded and how easy can I find replacements. <P>I a proud to say that the body is in good shape and will require the least amount of work. <BR> <P>Thanks for your help.<P>

MikeH,<BR>This is why we could not just jump on here and help you out right away. I knew you had a little customizing going on here and nobody here owns a magic wand as to just throw out answers to you. I don't have any answers at this time myself, but if you could give me some time I will ask some of my friends that know more about your type of engine application if you still wish me too.<P>And one other thing, if you have not already found out by reading some of our postings, there is NO better group of people willing to help out others on the internet than the ones right here on the AACA forum that I have found! We just may not be quick on talking 400's in '66 Ford pickups here in the AACA.<P>Rick