Casting reproduction services?

ply33

Well, my original 67 year old fuel pump has developed a crack in one of its die cast parts, a cover that holds the lever arm and diaphram springs in place. Because of this the engine is leaking oil and I fear the cover will break entirely dropping the diaphram springs and leaving me dead on the road.<P>I have a replacement pump on order from a mail order house. I am not sure that the replacement pump will be an exact match with the correct part number for the year. At the least, I hope the new pump will bolt in and work so I can go a three day tour a local club is putting on in a couple of weeks.<P>In the meantime, I wonder if it is possible to repair the original pump. Since everything else on the pump other than the cover that holds the diaphram springs in place is okay, it seems a shame not to fix it.<P>A quick search of the web indicates that using the original piece (with cracks patched with some sort of filler) as a model for creating duplicates through a lost wax process may be possible.<P>Is this possible? Has anyone done this? Any idea of what it would cost? Do you have experience a foundry that you would recommend?<P>Thanks,<BR>Tod Fitch<P>------------------<BR>1933 Plymouth PD<BR>AACA #281304

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Tod, Contact Arthur Gould, he rebuilds both fuel and water pumps and does very good work and has good turn around time. He may be able to do the repair or my have an old core. Arthur Gould, 6 Dolores Lane, Fort Salonga, New York 11768, 631-754-5010 or agouldpump@aol.com. SalG PS Look at ThomasBorchers water pump rebuild kit tread under general forum of 3/12/00.<P><p>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 03-20-2000).]

Tod, Sal's recommendation is probably the way I would go first.<P>Getting a casting off of your original is certainly viable, but for a one-off job would probably be very costly. It would most likely be less expensive to use the original as a model and machine a replacement, i.e. fake a casting. If the surface is sand blasted and then painted with cast-iron paint (I get mine at Napa), it will be look like a cast part.

Ron,<P>The part in question has lots of three dimensional relief. My meager skills as a machinist would be stretched to the limit in attempting a duplicate. (Aside from the fact that I don't have access to a proper milling machine.) From the little I was able to glean from the lost wax casting web sites I found, that seemed an easier technology to replicate the part. This is especially true in that the part was originally die cast.<P>SalG,<BR>I will dig through the parts manual again tonight and get the original AC-Delco part number for the cover (at the moment I only have the part number for the carburetor) and contact Arthur Gould in the next day or so.<P>The pump was rebuilt several years ago but was only put into service recently. The diaphram, springs, valves, etc. are all in good condition and the pump does not otherwise need repair. Perhaps Arthur has the cover piece available as a separate item.<P>Thanks for you suggestions.<P>Tod Fitch

Tod, Hopefully Art G. will be able to help. I have not tried lost wax casting. I thought you had to make a copy of the part in wax, place it in the casting sand, melt out the wax and then pour in the molten metal. Replicating the part would then depend on the accuracy of making the wax part. Then there would be metal shrinkage concerns when the metal cures. I'll have to look this up.<P>Was going to suggest you drive over and use my milling machine, but then noticed where you live (from AACA roster) and Alabama would be a long drive.<P>Keep us posted on progress.