ONE MORE THING

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

Is it okay to use one of those headlamp plastic restorer liquids or systems on the clear cover of the light bar? I have tried a plastic polish on a buffing wheel in a cordless drill using light pressure so no melted plastic. It worked reasonably well, however the cloudy haze returns in about a month. I used Blue Coral plastic polish for plastic helmet visors and plastic rear windows, my thinking was if it won't scratch vinyl windows it won't scratch the type of plastic used on the light bar. My guess is styrene or polycarbonate. Styrene is cheaper than the harder polycarbonate, same thing CDs are made of.

Richard,

There are many products as well as many posts on the topic of what to use to give the taillight assembly the shine we all want.

A search will provide many suggestions.

From what I can gather and from my own experience, what ever product is used, the shine never lasts.

I'm partial to Meguiar's products. Don't know much about the chemistry of such things but, whether due to washings or evaporation of the oils (polymers?) or whatever, the shine eventually goes away.

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

I am not certain the composition of the plastic lens, but I made the mistake of trying to put automotive clearcoat on one only to have the surface react badly and end up with a crackle finish. I sanded it completely down and buffed it out to get it looking decent again.

I did have a second one sprayed by a guy locally who does lens restorstion, he uses a two-part clear epoxy made by Sherwin Williams and it did not have this effect on the lens. Obviously, it is sensitive to certain solvents so be careful.

Most lens restoration products seem to be fine on it. The Sylvania kit available from Ronnie's store at ROJ is good, I have used it. Meguiars makes a nice kit also, as well as plastic cleaner and polish (two seperate compounds) in squeeze bottles. The latter has no coating to apply to help maintain the shine unlike the Sylvania kit in particular, so it will will dull out again sooner.

Guest Richard D

Thanks again, I too am partial to Meguiars products. I learned the hard way to read the label on cleaners. I was working at an aviation shop rebuilding attitude director indicators and I gave a shot of contact cleaner at a feedback pot, it was not the type I normally use but I let my stock run out. As soon as the over spray touched some of the plastic parts in the instrument they literally cracked and exploded. I was more than lucky, we had a red tagged same model instrument and I was able to disassemble each one and put one together that took 2 days however it past all tests. If I had to buy a nos instrument it would have been around $24,000.

Best regards,

Richard.

Guest Corvanti

i've only had to "clean" the rear light bar twice in around 2 1/2 years. the last time, i used Meguiars PlastX and cleaned it with a Mother's Power Ball (the light bar wasn't "that" bad). the first time, i used 2000 wet sandpaper and Quixx acrylic cleaner along with the power ball, etc. - it was pretty bad...

after all that, i think the best thing i did was protect it with a good carnauba wax upon completion of the "cleaning" and whenever i waxed the car. that seemed to protect it from UV rays, and any chemicals in rain, wash water, etc.

hope this helps!