66 thunderbird

I have a 66 Thunderbird that has a vibration.<BR>It seems to be worse on accelaration up to about 50MPH at which time the vibration seems to smooth out considerably and sort of oscillate in and out. I have had the universal joints, motor mounts and trans. mounts checked and were told they were OK.<BR>When the car is in park and the engine is reved up it seems to vibrate excessively.<BR>Any advice would be appreciated...Don

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

You might want to check the other end of the crank as well. Do you have a harmonic balancer? If so, what kind of shape is it in?

• 2 months later...

Since your vibration exists with the car stationary as well, I would check the harmonic balancer to confirm it is the correct one for your application. Because Ford engines are externally balanced, and balancers will physically interchange between several engines without necessarily being correct, it is possible that an incorrect balancer was installed at some point during the car's history. If the car is an automatic, the flex plate may be a contributor, but probably not to the extent that your vibration indicates. I would also take the drive shaft to a competent driveline shop to have it checked for trueness and balance on a spin balancer, if for no other reason than to exclude it as a possible cause. Good luck!