Hershey - Yellow Field

I will get first hand knowledge of the Yellow Field conditions as I am one of the ones that get relocated there until the construction in Green Field is done. As I always camp on the site, hopefully I wont wake up somewhere swimming near Harrisburg. Pull me out if you see me float by!<BR>

YV 224 & 225 will remain unoccupied this year. My neighbors will have room to spread out. 1800 miles is too far to drive and risk the normal rain pattterns for the area in early October. frown.gif ~ hvs

The Glidden Tour starts two weeks after Hershey ends and it is in Tucson. If I drove to Hershey and back and then Tucson and back [Tucson with 8500# of loaded trailer] I would have covered 6000 miles in 3 1/2 weeks. Too much! shocked.gif I have been to Hershey every year since 1961, with the exception of 1966, the year the Orioles were in the World Series. I have earned a year off. Will return in 2001. My spaces are next to Father Ron's and I don't want him to get too comfortable with all that elbow room. smile.gifsmile.gif ~ hvs

Sorrry you're not gonna make Hershey. If it doesn't rain, we'll now know who brings it to Hershey. wink.gif<BR>Have fun on the Glidden Tour. I'd like to go on a national tour. They have finally gotten one for the newer cars that my Chevy II Novas could go to. We had one here (NC) back in the spring. Due to a dirty 4 letter word, (work) I didn't get to go. frown.gif Maybe someday.<BR>I'll go check on Father Ron and make sure he doen't overtake your spaces wink.gif<BR>By the way. Since when is the Orioles in the world series good excuse to miss the holy week of Hershey? wink.gif<BR>take car and have fun on the Glidden<P>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 09-15-2000).]<BR>Typo.. that is take care and have fun. Although I guess you need a car on the Glidden. wink.gif<BR><p>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 09-15-2000).]

Peter ~ I seem to recall that many moons ago I extended to you and invitation to ride with us sometime during the tour. The offer still stands! Bring beer - we'll toast the West! grin.gif ~ Howard

OK Dave, here goes. In 1966 I had season tickets. Four box seats directly behind first base, six rows up from the rail. To me, the best seats in the stadium. We got them when the Orioles transferred the franchise from the St Louis Browns in 1954. Season ticket holders were entitled to purchase their seats for the world series. My father and I did that in 1966 when the Orioles were in the world series against the <BR>Dodgers. The first 2 games were in LA and<BR>games 3,4,& 5 were in Baltimore on Fri, Sat and Sun of Hershey weekend. Baltimore won the first 2 games. If I went to Hershey on Fri & Sat and Baltimore won games 3 & 4, there would be no Sun game for me to see.<BR>You're probably too young to remember, but Baltimore swept the series. Hence no Sun game. That was one time I made the right decision and was the only Hershey I have missed between 1961 and now. By the '70's the tickets got to be too pricey and we let them go, so 1966 was the only world series I ever attended ~ smile.gifsmile.gif Howard<BR>

• 2 weeks later...

Displaced from our usual Green Field spots, we are now in Yellow Field at sites YS19, 20 and 21. As always there will be an assortment of very nice original and interesting Model A Ford accessories.<BR>I camp on the site during most of the week so I am usually there in the evenings.<BR>Stop by and say hello....<BR>

I don't know how exciting it will be, but I have been on 13 Gliddens and have always had fun. It is a chance to tour with friends you only see once a year on the Glidden. <P>At my age, how do you define exciting? smile.gifsmile.gif<P>Howard

Guest c.johnson

I guess exciting really is a matter of perspective.. smile.gif<P>I think of "Glidden" and I think of a lot of paint, are there a lot of cars also? I have never heard of the "Glidden Tour" before, for all I know you could be a golf pro grin.gif<P>cj

First, let me inform anyone who is interested that there is NO connection between the Glidden Tour and Glidden paint. The Tour was named for the man who first conceived the idea of a long distance reliability tour to promote the automobile right after the turn of the 20th century [1900 that is], one Charles Jasper Glidden.<P>It's much too long a story to go into here, but if anyone is really interested I am certain that the AACA Library & Research Center can provide you with information and history.<P>The modern revival of the Glidden Tour began right after WWII and has been held annually ever since.<P>The rights to the name Glidden Tour are trademarked by the VMCCA and they share the Tour with AACA on an alternating year basis. This year it is the VMCCA's turn. Next year AACA will host the Tour in Upper Michigan.<P>You need only be a member of one of the two clubs to participate. VMCCA and AACA accept each other's members on the Glidden Tour. ~~ smile.gifsmile.gif <P>As to the number of cars participating. It depends on where the Tour is located. When it is held in the East there have been as many as 450 cars. In the West the Tours are smaller, usually between 125 and 275 cars. Honestly, the smaller tours are more enjoyable.<P>You hit close to home with that pro golfer thing. My step-daughter is one at Desert Mountain in Arizona. I, on the other hand, have no golfing skills whatsoever. ~ rolleyes.gif hvs<P>[This message has been edited by hvs (edited 09-27-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by hvs (edited 09-27-2000).]

Guest rcirilli

Some other points about the Glidden tours. It's a great place to get your car wet for the first time, A great way to tow your vehicle for the first time and the best mechanics in both clubs participate. You can get your car restored mechanically if you appear helpless enough. I can't say for sure I know anyone who has had those things happen but I've heard stories.

It has been said of the Glidden Tour that by Wednesday evening all the cars needing it have been mechanically restored. Seems to me that applies to all 5 day tours I have been on smile.gifsmile.gif ~Howard

Guest c.johnson

What car are you taking Howard? <P>It sounds like great fun, maybe next year I'll have a car I can take. I'll be working on a '23 Oakland sedan - soon as the garage gets finished. Or maybe I can borrow an Overland from my dad.<BR> <BR>Will it be the same time of year next year?<P>cj