Radio crackle

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

I am getting a good bit of crackle in the radio in the 90 vert. It seems to be more on the right. Opinions as to wether you think it's the speakers or radio itself. I don't want to start tearing apart the doors etc on this car unless absolutely necessary.

Keith, off the top of my head, I think I remember when my radio needed new capacitors that it would still pop and click when the volume was at a really low level where you shouldn't hear a noise from a bad speaker. You can test it that way but maybe I'm wrong about it. One of the audio gurus might know if that test will work or not.

Could be either one; six capacitors in the radio, or the speaker. The speakers are notorious for the cone foam suspension turning to dust. The cone then has no edge support and rattles around. Cure is to replace the speaker.

The radios are also prone to these six capacitors going bad. 2 mfd @16v., if memory is correct. Somewhere I saw a tutorial on how to repair these. Best left to an electronics tech.

Guest Corvanti

another simple check. if there is no "pop", etc. at low volume - at "normal" volume, use the balance and fade feature to isolate which speaker(s) may be bad.

speakers are available in "The Reatta Store": http://thereattastore.com/other-buick-reattaelectrical-parts/

on my '89 and i ass-u-me on the '90, a wiring harness adapter will be needed. i used "Metra 72-4500" for the rear speakers. available on ebay for less than $10 a pair. also available at Best Buy and probably other car electronic establishments.

EDIT: i always replace speakers in pairs - front or rear. if only one or the other is bad, you may get by for awhile but probably should replace them all as others said about the age of the speakers...

Edited by Corvanti (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

It crackles on the low volume as well, I guess I will pull it and the CD player out and send them away over the winter and have them gone over. I can stand the antenna wind noise lol but not a crackle.