Unavailable tire size substitute

Today I determined that one of the tires on my Chrysler has officially retired from the business of holding air. Now, this car won't actually be rolling again for a long, long time but one thing I just can't stand is the sight of a car with flat tires. It is, in my mind anyway, the sign of lost hope.<P>So I'm off to buy tires for a car that doesn't need them. According to my service manual, it originally came with 6.25x16 tires. However, the car currently has 650x16 front and 600x16 rear (mud/snow).<P>I have a Coker Tire catalog. It looks like 625x16 is not available anymore. My inclination is to substitute with 650x16 BFGoodrich blackwall. Blackwall is correct for this car. Don't know about the brand but don't care either. My cars will only be seen with BFGs.<P>So what do you think? Is this an acceptable substitution?<P>While I'm at it I will probably repaint the wheels, as they are showing their age. How do I determine what kind of black paint to use?<P>Cheers, 3MP<P>------------------<BR>aka Bry in Virginia<BR>40 Chrysler Royal Coupe, 4.0L I6 M3 <I>(restoration project)</I><BR>70 Dodge Charger, 5.2L V8 A3 <I>(hot rod project)</I><BR>74 Dodge 100 Adventurer, 5.2L V8 A3 <I>(works for a living)</I><P><BR>

Guest boettger

3MP<BR>Have had good luck with 16 inch used tire from almost any tire dealer. Also had good luck with used tires at Carlisle and Hershey.<BR> They are usually available quite ceaply. You only need something to put on the car to hold air during the restoration process. If you are like me new expensive collector car tires will be a mess by the the time you finally finish the restoration. Better to have some junkers on the chassis during the messy process and brand new ones on wehen you are done!<P>------------------<BR>Steve Boettger<BR>'30 DeSoto 8<BR>'59 Nash Metropolitan<BR>'23 Chevrolet Touring<P>

• 2 weeks later...

Black wall is not necessarily correct for your Chrysler, as white wall tires were available as an option. Based on the size you give, I suspect your car is a late 30's model. I have a 1935 Buick which also specifies 6.25x16 and you're correct, they are not available. I used 6.50x16 on the ground so as not to be undersized (sometimes the next higher size was an option). But, I had to use a 6.00x16 on the rear to get it into the tire cover (rear mounted spare). The 6.50 tires will also make your car look stouter.