Wooden Spokes

Rogillio

I believe that early ones were all painted black. Early being up to 26. I have a set of 27 wheels I just listed for sale that came off an unrestored original car. They were natural finished and you can still see the pinstriping. No sign of paint on them anywhere. Jay

I have a 27 sedan that had the spokes painted a dark blue color. Having decided to finish them natural, I tried a few paint removers, but nothing touched the paint. I finally had to scrape each wheel, (40 hours) to get to wood I could stain. I used a "golden oak" stain, and then finished them with spar varnish. The final look was worth it!!

The early cars were all black, and the wheels were all Dodge Brothers blue.

I read somewhere, I think in the list of ongoing changes to DBs that John Bittence put together and published in the newsletter, that sometime in 1925 natural spokes were listed as an option for some models of DBs. I will have to look at my back issues to see if I can find it again. I'm thinking that he published it in 2010 or there abouts. Anyhow, after I did all of the work to clean mine up I decided to use an oak stain and spar varnish rather than painting them. There was no paint on them when I got the car so I didn't know what they were originally. I like them this way so that is what counts.