Will the engine from a 37 olds work in a 36?

Dandy Dave

Helping a friend with a 1936 Oldsmobile. The car is a 4 door 6 Cylinder model. He is getting more info off of the dash tag for me. He has an Olds 1937 230 CID that is a good running motor. Wondering what the differences are and will the 37 engine fit the 36 car without a lot of problems. Also, what are the differences? Thanks, Dandy Dave!

That is the problem Dale. He bought the 36 without an engine, and then purchased a later car that ran good. I guess I should get the numbers off of it so that we can verify the year of the engine. Dandy Dave!

The engine is a 6 cylinder. This is what I have off or the car plate. Style# 36-3619, Body # 50624. I'll get the Number off of the motor that he wants to use in the morning and post it. Thanks, Dandy Dave!

Slow on posting because I picked up a block of wood to move it and hear a crack in my lower back....Hurt like no tomorrow.... Just getting back to things after a Week and a half give a little. The engine numbers are, G153382. Can anyone confirm the year of the engine? Head Say's 230 CID. Doing a little digging this engine is a 39 to 42. Can you Olds guys pin it down any closer? Thanks, Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)