472 Caddy Engine Frozen? How do I Test?

Guest Tim1310

Having bought dozens of old cars, I would jump at the chance to buy that car for $700 IF it was sitting in the garage, untouched.

If I could see someone had been messing with the engine, I would back off quick and probably not buy it at any price unless careful inspection convinced me it was not too messed up.

In other words everything you have done has reduced its value and saleability.

The chance of someone buying it because it turns over, who would not otherwise be interested, is nil.

That guy had no clue about UNC and UNF threads — hardly the sort one would look to for mechanical mentorship!

You're right. He didn't have a clue...but the people giving him advice on the thread do.. For example, I didn't know there was never a bolt where a bolt "should be". I was thinking mine had broken off. I also would never had known that the corked hole is threaded and that you can turn the engine to determine if its seized or not. I also wouldn't have known that just any bolt in the correct size would do. There were a several people in that thread who know Caddy engines well and seem right on the mark w/their advice.

Tim.

Where is this car anyway?

North Miami (FL). I'm still looking for a battery to try the starter with. Someone on the thread and a neighbor of mine said jumper cables from my 78 Toro won't work and the terminals are different, so I can't just take it from one car and put it in another. The Eldo battery has posts. I think I know someone who has a jump starter and will check w/him Saturday and see if that will work.

That's correct: those engines don't have a bolt here. A bolt is needed to install the pulley in case it must be removed. You can put the cork plug again; I can see on the pictures that the thread is good looking.

By the way: tryng to turn the engine over by pulling on a belt is really not the finest way to get it, especially such kind of engine. It was probably a method to get the car for free.

By the way: tryng to turn the engine over by pulling on a belt is really not the finest way to get it, especially such kind of engine. It was probably a method to get the car for free.

I was kind of thinking that too. ;)

Did you try a battery yet?

Unfortunately, my job keeps me from doing anything during the week. I have two people who are going to look at it this weekend. One will bring a battery. The other doesn't seem to care if the engine if seized or not. So far, the only thing I have done is the Marvel Mystery oil. If it doesn't sell this weeken, I'll e-mail blast all those who responded to the ad to see who's interested in it as is.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tim1310

Well, I had an interested buyer come out and he brought a battery. The engine turned right over! An hour later he had the car flat bedded out to its new home.

Guest Tim1310
Thanks for the advice on covering the plugs holes. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I forgot the plugs were out when I first started it. The garage looked like one of those slasher movies...red Marvel Mystery oil everywhere. ;)

Guest Tim1310
Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

Thanks. I'm glad to get it sold, but am missing it a bit. I can now put the house on the market. Helpfully it will be easier to sell than the car :o

When I have a new place w/a two car garage I plan to start the hunt for another 68 Eldo, but I want to try to find one w/the bucket seat option.

Thanks for the advice.

I forgot the plugs were out when I first started it. The garage looked like one of those slasher movies...red Marvel Mystery oil everywhere. ;)

So, next time you will remember to cover the plug holes with rags (as I suggested in post #10). They also keep dirt and debris out of the cylinders, should you leave the plugs out for a month. Or, you can put the plugs back in finger tight but remove them before spinning the engine. It is important to have the plugs out for that if you oiled the cylinders, you don't want hydraulic lock.

Guest Tim1310
So, next time you will remember to cover the plug holes with rags

There won't be a next time :) I make sure that I start my other car, a 78 Toro XS at least every other day and use it as my primary car on the weekends.