1935 Dodge Brothers pickup

Guest softtomgirl

Good looking truck will watch this with interest, is the serial no. also stamped on the frame or can Chrysler Heritage trace serials from engine Nos. through their microfiche files. For sure you wont find this sort of information from any of the magazines.

post-72422-143142741563_thumb.jpeg ​I got this one sitting in Houston waiting to ship. knobless the hinges are in the right place for you, at the back.

Edited by TomP (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest softtomgirl

Dave, I am back at my dad's getting ready to haul a 1934 Plymouth roadster home. He gave me an engine block for the Dodge pickup. He said its the original engine. Can you check? Serial number is TI2-I8595. Those are capital Is, not ones.

Looking at the two firewall pictures you posted a few weeks ago, it probably had 2 tags. The oval shape one with the shadow was the body number and if you look above that there are two small holes about an inch further out where the body tag would be and about an inch higher. This was probably the manufacturers tag.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest softtomgirl

Finally got the wheels off. Now I can look for numbers on the frame. noticed there's no bell housing. that gonna be a problem locating one?

Guest softtomgirl

and last time I was back Dad gave me the gas tank, the block of the original engine and the crank shaft. rather than have the engine in it now rebuilt, perhaps I should just have the original done. are they the same h.p.

Guest softtomgirl

my dad has lost the title. I'd like to get a duplicate before he dies so he can turn it over to me. it was last registered in CA 1985. still has the license plate. but I need that serial number. drats!!

Regarding the re chroming, I bought the new hinge for the hood from Vintique or some such place. They are listed as a Ford part and are used by rodders but they are identical to my 33DP which has the same hinge and hood.

Getting the actual hinge that slides in the top exposed part give you a straight, non binding hinge rather than a jammed rusty one.

Hope this helps.

Beetles

Guest softtomgirl

Dave, I know you are a Dodge guy but I was wondering if you know of any plymouth resources. This 34 roadster has a serial number -woohoo! ! 3009270. it also has a tag on the firewall -30319cc. don't quite know what that one is. There is another tag on the firewall but I don't see any numbers on it. can you point me in the right direction?

Dave, there are these 2 pans down on the sides of the engine. One is gone. what are they for?

I thought they were to control air flow around the engine to improve cooling. The air is forced out through louvres in the bonnet/hood and the gap at the rear rather than just falling out the bottom, where there is a low pressure zone that will "suck" it out without any help in cooling, esp. at the rear of the engine. Cylinders at the rear need all the help they can get to keep cool.

I thought they were to control air flow around the engine to improve cooling. The air is forced out through louvres in the bonnet/hood and the gap at the rear rather than just falling out the bottom, where there is a low pressure zone that will "suck" it out without any help in cooling, esp. at the rear of the engine. Cylinders at the rear need all the help they can get to keep cool.

Absolutely concur. While often called "engine splash pans", their real engineering function was to carry the radiator air to the REAR of the compartment to exit under the toe board thus providing max air cooling around the rearmost cylinders.

Dave, I know you are a Dodge guy but I was wondering if you know of any plymouth resources. This 34 roadster has a serial number -woohoo! ! 3009270. it also has a tag on the firewall -30319cc. don't quite know what that one is. There is another tag on the firewall but I don't see any numbers on it. can you point me in the right direction?

I see that Dave has provided you with the serial number run for 34s. The 3009270 on the door jamb plate is the car serial number, which should match the engine block number if the engine was never changed. The '3' series of serial numbers is an indication that the car was built in California (Los Angeles) rather than in Detroit. The other number on the firewall plate is the body number, with the 'CC' standing for convertible coupe. In contrast, a business coupe would have had a 'BC' suffix. The other tag on the firewall is the manufacturer's plate, which would have been red with lettering on it (although I have seen some early 34s with black plates) and stating Plymouth, Division of Chrysler, etc. These are almost always washed out (they were just painted, not stamped or engraved) and are the same for all 34 Plymouths. Very good reproductions are available, although they can be a little pricey. A photo of one is attached. One final number you may not have seen, if you look at the top of the firewall on the drivers side, next to the coil hole, there should be another number stamped into the metal. This is found on many coupes and convertibles. My 34 convertible has it, as does another firewall I have from a 34 convertible. My understanding is that these are basically convertible body numbers, and they run consecutively from 33 through 34, which makes the number run only about 8000 total. Let me know if you have any further questions.

post-89602-143142830536_thumb.jpg

This is what you should be looking for, I'm with knobless, back in the day more often than not roads were tracks, these stopped mud rubbish and debris being thrown into the engine bay, I am of the opinion that modern sump guards are more in tune with cooling.

post-72422-143142830845_thumb.jpg