What kind of fluid in a convertible top pump???

I need to refill my convertible top pump in my 69 GS 400 convertible, but am not sure what to put in it. I have heard hydraulic fluid, tranny fluid and even brake fluid!!! Does anyone out there know what is the RIGHT stuff to put in a 69 GM convertible??? Whatever I put in there needs to be compatible with the original stuff as some of it is still in the system. Just in case anyone is curious, I was trying to replace the pump/motor grommets and I broke one of the fluid lines that go to the cylinders...three little rubber grommets ended up costing me around $140.00!!!! Boy does stupidity hurt!!! OUCH!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FISHMAN:<BR><B>I need to refill my convertible top pump in my 69 GS 400 convertible, but am not sure what to put in it. I have heard hydraulic fluid, tranny fluid and even brake fluid!!! Does anyone out there know what is the RIGHT stuff to put in a 69 GM convertible??? Whatever I put in there needs to be compatible with the original stuff as some of it is still in the system. Just in case anyone is curious, I was trying to replace the pump/motor grommets and I broke one of the fluid lines that go to the cylinders...three little rubber grommets ended up costing me around $140.00!!!! Boy does stupidity hurt!!! OUCH!!!!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The first thing I would do is drain the existing fluid out of your reservoir and try to identify what it is either by smell or color or both. Then I would replace it with ATF (automatic trans fluid), do not use brake fluid as it is very caustic and its also hydrosopic (collects water) and will damage your whole system.You should do all of this with the top down so that as much of the old fluid is our of the top cylinders as possible.<BR>

Guest COMPACTBC

AFTER YOU PUT NEW FLUID IN YOU SHOULD RAISE AND LOWER THE TOP SEVERAL TIMES TO GET ALL THE AIR OUT OF THE SYSTEM.

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I'm not sure what is correct, however on my '55 I flushed the system and repalced the brake fluid that was in there with ATF.<P> The problem with brake fluid is that if you develope a leak, it will eat your paint.<P> My mechanic recommended AFT because of it's qualities.<P> A quick tip on filling it, try one of those generic ketchup bottles, the kind you use at picnics.<P>Scott<P>------------------<BR>

Fisher Body book says ATF...cycle up and down to remove air..in the down position the fluid level should be 1/4" below the filler plug lower edge..and in big letters "IMPORTANT grin.gifO NOT OVERFILL".

So I've heard a few say ATF. A mechanic at the local Buick dealer says that the GM fluid is unavailable, but that power steering fluid is the closest thing to the original stuff. Are ATF and power steering fluid compatible? Are they interchangeable? <P>That Fisher body manual that recommends ATF, what era is that from? And what type of ATF does it call for? Thanks to all for the help. The weather here in Montana is beautiful and I am dieing to drop the top on my GS and enjoy it!!!!!

• 19 years later...
11 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

How and why was a 20-year-old post discovered?

CoronaVirus Boredom?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

How and why was a 20-year-old post discovered?

Someone probably did a Google search for "grommets"

I did an Ebay search for BMW headlight covers yesterday. I can't wait for the "related items" that show up today.

I did a search for algorithms a couple days ago and look what came up:

Famous Ukulele Players, Page 1

Grrrrrr, search engines.

Haha . . . yah . . . you guys are hilarious!  I would say your replies are the true example of covid19 boredom!!

I happen to be working on my dads 1971 442 after it has been sitting for 20 years.  One of the things it needed was fluid added to the convert. top system so the top will go up and down.

So I google searched "adding fluid to . . . .".  

This post came up and I thought "No one really gave a diffinitive answer to the question.  And I hadn't posted on this site for a very long time.

So I answered the question with the correct answer . . . .no doubts.

I also figured it would be a good reference for anyone else that may search out this topic.

Yep. . . it was an excellent post my fellow car friends . . . . :)

Now go find something to do!  LOL

Edited by ratchetmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nice 442 -- and a 4-speed to boot!  ;)

My best friend's father owned a gas station in the 60's - 70's and one of the 'regulars' had a black & gold '71 442 W30 convertible (turbo 400 w/ Hurst His & Hers shifter).  I'd love to have that car today!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

And I, too, found this thread on a search for the correct convertible top fluid.

Edit:  While Buick was still using brake fluid in their hydrualic systems in 1968, Chrysler went to ATF for the 1964 model year, as evidenced by their factory service manuals I searched recently.  Always best to get a small sample of the existing fluid on a piece of paper towel and see how it feels, looks, and smells, then go from there.

BEST option is to use atf rather than brake fluid, but you'll probably need to change the seals and rubbers in the system too.  But if the system is older and needs new cylinders and such, a prime time to update the fluid too!  Otherwise, for a top-off, match what's already in the system.

Always thought those Olds 4-spoke sport steering wheels were neat.  And Cutlasses, too!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Just thought i would  follow this on   from---NTX5467 ---says and is correct   ATF Dex 111 is what you use,

you may remember a few months back i showed here on a forum , that i had just fitted  new  rear window and pads

to my existing  convertible top,--all went well , but a big job.  well i also replaced one leaking  top cylinder, so i  flushed 

and replaced what ever fluid was in  my  64 Electra convertible, as i  have only had this buick 4 years now, and did not know

what fluid was in it any way.

Here is   a photo for bleeding  top  when re filling and changing  fluid .    keep this because it helped me alot when bleeding mine. 

Incidently Hydro E Lectric   i found very good , and fare prices.

IMG_1477.jpgcon top.jpg

IMG_1478.jpgcon top.jpg

• Thanks 2