Golf carts for (truly) handicapped people @ Hershey

mrpushbutton

I know that the AACA controls golf carts at Hershey tightly, after having gone to Auburn for years where it is a free-for-all I really appreciate the AACA's stance.

Here's what has happened: my boss goes every year to Hershey, he has had both knees replaced in the last few years. The person with whom our office has dealt with re: reserving a golf cart has left, his whole system of sending out emails was changed, the people who took over were supposed to send out a flyer instead, that didn't happen and now all the carts are spoken for. Does anyone know if there is a waiting list or person within the AACA we could contact? Please PM me with details.

thanks in advance,

John

From the literature sent with stickers: "If you have a personal mobility vehicle to use during the Fall Meet...you will need to register it at either the Hersheypark Maintenance Building...or at the Popup Tent in front of the Giant Center. You will need to certify that you have $50,000 of liability insurance."

It doesn't state, but I'd think you'd have to have some proof of disability, Doctor letter or such...

I didn't mean my previous post to read as belligerently as it did. The point is the Americans With Disabilities act is very specific. Someone can only ask if you need your golf cart or whatever for your disability. They cannot ask the nature of your disability nor can they require proof of disability. I make it a point to display my hard earned Handicapped placard and I do register with the powers that be. And yes I do understand some folks irritation at the number of carts cruising around Hershey but really, how many accidents involving carts have there been? Like it or not it would not be prudent for Herco or AACA to become embroiled in a law suit over the ADA.

We do NOT ask for proof of a disability. Jeff is right. However, Jeff, accidents with golf carts and even the personal devices are an increasing problem. It is one that I worry about each year as we have had to deal with the aftermath.

It should be made clear that AACA does not control the handicapped program entirely, the Hershey Region contracts with Scooterbug to run the program in a legal manner and to assist people in registering and safety checking private devices. They must be electric.

This whole arena continues to be a growing concern for those that need them and to navigate with the huge crowds. Many times I leave mine parked just because I am too nervous driving around in the crowds. No I am not handicapped but had both feet operated on last year and have steel rods in my big toes! Plus I have to be in multiple places during the event (just in case you wondered!)

You can call Scooterbug to see if they have a waitlist...people in the past have turned units in early so.... Also, there may be other companies in the area you can rent a unit from although I do not have contact info.

I stand corrected on the proof of handicap, not needed.

Now I have a question, though.

Does one have to show up with a handicap placard to register a mobile transport device?

Or does one just have to state "I need a device" and no questions asked?

I'm not being nasty, either, I'm in my 60's and my knees are a constant problem, can see the day coming that the inherited Hoveround in my warehouse could be of use!

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

I have experienced a similar problem this year with reservations for a golf cart. Having attended Hershey many times in the past, I too can appreciate the position of the club concerning limited golf cart rentals. We have rented a two passenger cart for the past several years. I also did not get any Scooterbug notices about personnel changes, flyers being sent out, or waiting list. Its about a 1,000 mile drive to get to the meet (possible in my case only because another "normal" person travels with me) to help with the driving, etc.! I am not fortunate enough to afford or own a private golf cart nor the insurance required. I have no way to transport same if I did have one. Without the cart last year, in the torrential rain storms, I would not have had a chance.

Fully understanding the reasoning of the club, can anyone tell me why Scooterbug is the only official source for transportation at Hershey? I have serious medical conditions, previous bypass heart surgeries, and to the present---seven heart stents. I can produce a doctors verification and have a current disability sticker. The little single passenger Scooterbugs are not an option with two people! Perhaps I can stay at the hotel, da... Scooterbug has always been difficult to work with, often not even answering the telephone for weeks on end, or returning calls, and now this latest problem... Maybe its time for the people making such decisions to re-evaluate this entire process and the company that appears to have the exclusive on such rentals?

I really want to come to Hershey again, but I can not navigate the distances involved. Nor am willing to take a change that could prove dangerous to me or the event. It costs a reason amount to travel round trip, many nights motel cost, cart rental cost, food, etc. If I can not solve this problem, then I can no longer attend Hershey. Is there any other local company that can rent carts and bring them onto the show grounds? Respectfully, bob

BBrown,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I am not from Hershey so I have no idea if there are other rental companies who may be able to help you. I did a quick Google Search for Mobility Scooter Rentals in Hershey PA and found the following list. Hopefully one of these companies may be able to help you.

http://www.yellowpages.com/hershey-pa/mobility-scooter-rentals

Bob, If I am reading the words of (the esteemed) Steve Moskowitz above, you can call another golf cart rental company in the Susquehanna Valley and have an electric cart delivered to Hershey, the security officials inspect it, and then you are good to go, so apparently it is not exclusive to Scooterbug, they just have a convenient hook up for the event.

That's what we do and I've never had anyone do any sort of "safety inspection" but I suppose they might if a wheel was falling off or some such obvious issue. They have also never asked for proof of insurance but as I remember they did ask that I sign a form of some sort but I can't say I actually read it.

Yes you certify that you have insurance. Trust me, there is NO way I would want to navigate the show field without having liability insurance of my own. This is based upon experience of dealing with the aftermath of golf cart and mobility device accidents. Jeff, you have not read the papers? Good, they stated that your Packard is to be given to the Executive Director! :)

More and more of those that love Hershey and come for years have to deal with the sheer size of the event and the hard pavement. It was tough walking 20 years ago and more and is worse today. There are no easy answers and certainly more devices will only cause gigantic problems. Other venues have let the issue get out of hand and you literally put your life in jeopardy trying to navigate around. Workers need carts to perform their duties and those that are truly handicapped need their devices as well. I am sure this is an issue that will be under continued debate each year.

This problem won't go away anytime soon. So instead, enforce the rules that are in place. How many times have the Hrrshey Region golf carts let a mobility scooter pass them with no visible tag? Let's police ourselves and have fun.

How about parking spots near the flea market area for vans with wheelchair raps like mine? I'm a paraplegic with a non motorized wheelchair and need a parking space that has enough space to deploy the ramp. I have not been to Hershey since I became disabled so I'm not familiar with its handicap parking setup.

Terry

As far as the insurance i just checked and it is covered under your homeowners insurance. This is the first yera my wife will be comming along and she has justbeen put on disabilty we do have a placered .

But they can not stop you if you dont have insurance of if you dont regerester your personial device.

How about parking spots near the flea market area for vans with wheelchair raps like mine? I'm a paraplegic with a non motorized wheelchair and need a parking space that has enough space to deploy the ramp. I have not been to Hershey since I became disabled so I'm not familiar with its handicap parking setup.

Terry

Private message sent.

There is handicapped parking at the Hershey Maintenance Building and next to the Giant Center. There is a parking fee associated with this that HE & R charges, not AACA.

If someone does not register their device they are adding further liability to themselves personally. The procedures in place today are based on a long standing agreement with the appropriate regulatory agencies in PA.

I understand why this is done and have no problem with the process. My wife went for the first time last year , no she didn't go on Friday she stayed at the campground but I did go ,hey haven't miss one since 1973 a little rain wasent going to stop me, but she did go on Saturday and did have a problem walking from the show field back to the handicap parking.So this year she has gotten on medicare this year and working on getting her own cart.

This is a step in the right direction! I have been attending since the early 70's and vending for about 15 years now and have seen two incidents with carts at my vending spaces in that time. Both were the to the drivers of the cart's fault. One the driver just parked it where ever he felt, just happened to be right behind a guy looking at some of my stuff. He stepped backwards and fell over the scooter. The ironic part was the man who fell was using a cane, while the operator of the cart was rather "spry" and about 40 years younger

The second incident was the scooter operator could not get off the scooter for some reason or another so he drove between the tables in my space under the tent. He just asked a me a question, without looking he put his scooter in reverse and took out two tables and the tent. Cost me about a $1,000 to $1,500. By time everything was sorted out he was nowhere to be seen. We found security and gave a discription:

Overwieght caucasian male; 60-70 years of age, wearing a button up plaid/checkered shirt kahki pants, with a foam baseball cap.

I just discribed about 70- 80% of the men I had seen on a scooter, if there was a visable tag front and back we might have been able to locate him via that number and maybe worked toward some restitution for the damage.

It is difficult to live with a handicap, I know this personally, but there is a difference between living with a disabilty and being lazy,fat (and in some situations drunk also). I admire those who do not let their disabilty get in the way of enjoying this great hobby, and are determined to keep on going. I also commend those who realize that they are operating a vehicle that can cause seriouse injury in a pedestrian area with safety. But I strongly feel every cart must have a tag and proof of insurance or not be allowed to operate on the field, regardless of the owners physical situation it is just not fair or safe! HERCO security must enforce the tags.

Edited by Biscayne John (see edit history)

Walter, AACA does not sign the contract with Scooterbug and does not agree to cover any liability for personal actions and agreements. AACA does provide liability to the Hershey Region to host the meet. We do not provide coverage to individuals whether they rent a Scooterbug, operate a flea market space or show a car or the food vendors, etc. In this litigious world, the fact remains that if there is an occurrence the whole world gets sued. Thus if someone runs over someone's foot most likely we will get sued even though we had no part in the mishap. Just the way life is today. I think it was a whole lot different in my parents day when accountability rested in the proper place. Just my opinion.

Walter, AACA does not sign the contract with Scooterbug and does not agree to cover any liability for personal actions and agreements. AACA does provide liability to the Hershey Region to host the meet. We do not provide coverage to individuals whether they rent a Scooterbug, operate a flea market space or show a car or the food vendors, etc. In this litigious world, the fact remains that if there is an occurrence the whole world gets sued. Thus if someone runs over someone's foot most likely we will get sued even though we had no part in the mishap. Just the way life is today. I think it was a whole lot different in my parents day when accountability rested in the proper place. Just my opinion.

Okay, than to get clarification on your original comment, let me ask this differently -- To what additional liability is the cart owner exposing himself if he doesn't register the device?

Walter, without going into detail all I will say is that from being involved in several lawsuits at events including one that resulted in a death I understand how the legal system works when it comes to these kinds of things. Following the rules and regulations of an event may afford a person more protection. Not following them in a jury trial may cause your legal counsel severe anguish as he/she is going to have to deal with that scenario. I speak with experience from 11 years here dealing with the aftermath of these issues.

In the end, those that do not follow the rules just make it harder on everyone else. All AACA meets are free to the public and it is an enjoyment I have personally had since my first meet in 1973. In '73 I hardly had enough money to pay an entrance fee so I was real appreciative of being allowed to see the "greatest show on earth..carwise"!

The guarantee that, by attempting whole heartedly to take part in Hershey WITH the AACA, Hershey Region and every single attendee, following the rules and thinking first of the people around yourself will help this fantastic event exist as it does today. Registering helps with Identification in the case of an accident or medical emergency, compilation of statistics related to carts on the field, reduction of personal liability to the cart driver (as Steve said: if it goes bad and there are lawyers involved, having registered your cart will at least minimize the negative picture that will be painted of you by opposing counsel) and most importantly to remove the stigma is immediately placed on anyone approaching in a cart without registration. That they are an intentional rulebreaker, that they are skirting registration and very likely are uninsured. That they are not there to participate with myself and others but are instead at the Hershey event to take from it all they can with no reciprocity without regard for damages or injury they may cause. I'm not saying that that is the truth about anyone in an unregistered cart but it is my perception and I am far less friendly and less charitable to those people. Statistics prove that the greater part of all hit and run accidents are by unregistered, uninsured motorists. It's inconceivable to me that this would not hold equally true for cart drivers. Ive been "Hit and Run" before as well as having my truck totalled by an uninsured motorist while sitting at a stoplight and am a little gunshy but I doubt anyone with a folding table full of glass, brass, nickel or chrome feels differently about the kind of cart driver that would refuse to register. And that knowledge gives me some "partial relief".