Kindig 1934 Dodge

Stevemo

• 3 years later...

this is my plan with my 33, 100% going to run a very similar style. cant wait to start cutting up my ride and get it low and Hot Rod just like Dave's.

I met him at the Los Angeles National Roadster show a few weeks ago and he gave me some good insight on how to attack the car. frame off full custom in the works now. "purists will never understand" 

plan to bag and lay it out very similar. 

34_Dodge_Intro_1_1495x992.jpg

Screenshot_20180202-101744.jpg

2 hours ago, Sactownog said:

"purists will never understand" 

Don't make the mistake of selling old purists short. On a personal note, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck (a 1933 Dodge one ton to keep it antique related) on the way into town.  If you think you can improve on the looks of a 1933 Dodge by all means go ahead and try. I've seen dozens of people try and I have yet to see anyone accomplish the feat. Zeke

How can anyone say the two vehicles posted above are ruined by any means, they are very clean sexy and would appeal to many people. classic look with style.... 

sure keep it stock and only worth $12-$25K or customize it, make it a nice driver, and boom worth well over those numbers. just my opinion. 

nearchoclatetown you dont know me dude!

IMHO those cars look to be quality builds but they are not completely to my taste. The bodies look to be perfect and I'm sure the interiors are nice too, I can't speak as to the style of the interior as in those pictures you can't tell for sure how they were finished. Anytime I see a vehicle slammed it just looks broken down. A slightly lowered vehicle to match the proportions of tires can be appealing and no I don't like giant rims with tires that have no sidewall.

As far as value, that's up to the person buying it. A quality daily driver you may get for $12-$25 K but a concourse show car $25 K wouldn't touch it and that is regardless of whether it's original or custom.

Edited by Silverdome (see edit history)

Sactownog: Here is where we diverge. You think a radical modification looks good. I think that it looks hideous. There is no accounting for taste. If you think that you can improve on the original design, go for it, give it your best shot. My standards of taste are objective as are yours. I'm outta here. Zeke

• Like 1

"To each his own" is fine as long as you're not defacing history.  I think it's a shame to take nice original cars and rip the guts out of them, and then say it's "improved".  But, it will keep happening, nothing we can do about it except discourage the discussion of same on this forum, a forum dedicated to original cars.

You know, now that I think about it though, Mt. Rushmore would look good painted.....and let's do the Lincoln Memorial, and painting Michelangelo's DAVID would be nice too....

Mt-Rushmore-Black-White-photos-in-color-s2400x1800-416745.jpg

'David'_by_Michelangelo_JBU14.JPG

• Like 1

When you discuss value on either a stocker, or restored, or hot rodded,  you will rarely come out on top either restored or hot rodded.  Those 30 to 35 thousand dollar rods you see,  have more than that in them,  just like restored cars.  Quality parts cost money.  When you take a bunch of junk yard parts and hokey an old car up with them to make it a modern rod,  it shows,  and usually ends up like one of the ones we see on craigslist,  that look decent (not show quality) outside,  then you go inside or under the hood and everything that isn't tired looking  or cobbed just doesn't flow with the lines and the design of the car.   To take one of these and restore everything but the driveline,  to achieve the stock look with a modern powertrain and lower stance (resto rod) costs a lot of money.  Chrome plating, paint, and Upholstery will cost the same whether it's a restored car or a hot rod, unless you throw the chrome away or paint it,  then you no longer have that look you were going for.  Quality wheels,  a disc brake conversion, independent front suspension, good crate engine and tranny along with all the components that need to be changed to support these.  plus the engineering to make it drive like a new car,  without shakes or shimmies and corner like you think it will,  all take lots of engineering.  My Friend's shop specializes in fixing all these problems that people build into their resto rods.  I get to hear all the stories.  

I wonder how many of the cars that have been converted really drive any better than the original would have with fresh suspension, brake and engine rebuild of the original.  I do understand disc brakes stop better and modern engines have more power,  but only if the guy putting it all together knows what he is doing. 

some guys do really quality work.  Xander on this forums works looks spectacular and his stray from stock a bit but I have seen a lot that don't.  

Craftsmanship is just that.  Stock or rod.  A quality restored car or quality rodded car ain't Cheap and usually never worth as much as it cost to do. 

The biggest downfall I see, is a stock restored car will always be that.  A rodded car often follows the latest trend.  Trends change as do what is considered good parts.  Certain combos were real popular 10 to 20 years ago that no one wants now. Be it paint,  Engine transplants,  whatever.  A stock restored car never goes out of style,  but many rods do.  Of course fast forward another 50 years and the style may come back as retro.  Tough that whole van craze from the 70's still doesn't seem to have any real resurgence. That's probably a whole other story though. 

If the rest of the car looks as nicely done as what you can see on either of those,   I wouldn't be surprised if they had 75G in the build of either.  The dark colored one has almost stock looking wheels that appear very wide,  so they were custom made for this car or in a very limited number,  That's not cheap,  so I can only imagine what they spent on everything else. 

I don't want you guys to take my comment wrong

I love to build hot rods.

However, I would NEVER build one from a salvageable or complete stock original. Especially this one that the OP had scored.

I just don't like the holier than thou that I see here sometimes.

I am sitting on a fairly straight 31 Dodge at the moment that has been pretty well stripped and someone has done a really nice job of filling the roof.

This car will never be original again, but I am undecided.

If the right offer came along I would sell it and let the new owner make the decision.

• Like 1

I agree to that.

There are many facets to the hobby and we should all get along.

I've been parked next to some stuff at shows that I didn't like, but still give a thumbs up to the owner.

Its what he has and he is having fun and that's the important part.

I hope I’m not sounding like a Nazi. I’m completely good with everyone doing their own thing. I might have gone down the hot rod trail if my car hadn’t been so nice and original. My peeve is people getting an attitude about their hot rod love on here. I enjoy the HAMB and all their shtick a lot. Their stuff there, our stuff here. Peace.

• Like 1

I agree with Jack M, I feel that every time I personally come on here and talk to anyone about anything other then 100% stock things, let the crucifying begin. 

As a website/forum that likes stock or purist ideas which is made clear every single post and page, it is very obvious that majority of you do not want to get along with guys that want to have conversation. its also very clear you like to kick others to other websites right away. 

everyone seems to say "hey leave www.aaca.org and go to https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ " personally I don't like forums and never get on them anymore because of the internet bullies that feel they can run a site like local street gang.

I am a younger guy with a 33 Dodge Barn find that is all stock other then the engine that has been replaced with the same style engine just a later year and every single time I bring any ideas or talk into this forum other than stock talk, people start roasting as opposed to talking which creates hostile arguments. 

I plan to take my 230ci Flathead 6 out and bore it .30 over, put headers, dual single barrel carbs, grind cam, and give it enough power to make me love the sound. but god forbid I say that anywhere on AACA or everyone will lose there minds. 

"let the fire begin" hahaha

I don't think a lot of members here will crucify you for warming up your stock flathead.  Most need to be punched out anyways just to clean up years of wear and abuse.  Very few would sleeve it back to stock unless it was necessary.  

Now taking your 33 Dodge and ripping it's chassis out, putting in all the latest tech (to be outdated within 5 years) modifying stuff so it can never be returned to stock throwing all the original parts in the process,  well that will more than raise eyebrows.   Especially when craigslist is full of similar aborted projects that started from good cars only to be permanently disfigured then abandoned when the project reached the end of the financial or physical ability of the builder. 

I think if you could look in more than one members garages,  you will find atleast one car that is other than stock.  We just prefer our cars to not look like they rolled off the cover of the latest rodding magazine.  We prefer they stay more or less true to their original design. 

18 hours ago, Sactownog said:

I agree with Jack M, I feel that every time I personally come on here and talk to anyone about anything other then 100% stock things, let the crucifying begin. 

As a website/forum that likes stock or purist ideas which is made clear every single post and page, it is very obvious that majority of you do not want to get along with guys that want to have conversation. its also very clear you like to kick others to other websites right away. 

everyone seems to say "hey leave www.aaca.org and go to https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ " personally I don't like forums and never get on them anymore because of the internet bullies that feel they can run a site like local street gang.

I am a younger guy with a 33 Dodge Barn find that is all stock other then the engine that has been replaced with the same style engine just a later year and every single time I bring any ideas or talk into this forum other than stock talk, people start roasting as opposed to talking which creates hostile arguments. 

I plan to take my 230ci Flathead 6 out and bore it .30 over, put headers, dual single barrel carbs, grind cam, and give it enough power to make me love the sound. but god forbid I say that anywhere on AACA or everyone will lose there minds. 

"let the fire begin" hahaha

Oh the heck with it Sac, Put a Hemi in there like I did.

Puyallup show 003.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2018 at 3:36 PM, auburnseeker said:

I don't think a lot of members here will crucify you for warming up your stock flathead.  Most need to be punched out anyways just to clean up years of wear and abuse.  Very few would sleeve it back to stock unless it was necessary.  

Now taking your 33 Dodge and ripping it's chassis out, putting in all the latest tech (to be outdated within 5 years) modifying stuff so it can never be returned to stock throwing all the original parts in the process,  well that will more than raise eyebrows.   Especially when craigslist is full of similar aborted projects that started from good cars only to be permanently disfigured then abandoned when the project reached the end of the financial or physical ability of the builder. 

I think if you could look in more than one members garages,  you will find atleast one car that is other than stock.  We just prefer our cars to not look like they rolled off the cover of the latest rodding magazine.  We prefer they stay more or less true to their original design. 

That is my plan, once everything is back up and running/driving, I plan to rip out the heart and rebuild/pump it up a bit, maybe add a 2nd carb and some headers, paint it and maybe a grind cam. then I will be happy. at least then it will be beefy with the OG GANGSTA look. just ordered my Firestone's with 4" white walls yesterday. I like the stock look, but with a bit of a stance "lowered 1-2"

I met a fellow back in the '90s. His aim was to restore Big Red, his mid '30s V8 Coupe, as a hot rod of the late '40s. Still used the original engine, just more carbs, cam grind, headers, shiny stuff and so on. He was spending hours and hours on the hubcaps while I was spending hours on a headlight shell. We were both at night classes in panel beating, our first attempts at it.

• Like 1