Kalila

E. Ann Klein-Fisher / 4.5L Blower Bentley

I am looking for information regarding a 1931 Bentley 4.5L Supercharged that was a part of the Klein Collection in the mid to late 60s. I am specifically looking for a contact who might have photos of when the car was in the collection, how they acquired the car, and anything that might be helpful in documenting the history of the car. If anyone knows a good contact please be in touch. I know Ann was quite active in the car community so I imagine somebody would be able to help with this matter. Thanks so much in advance!

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Hi, LI_Bentley thanks for the info! I have checked the site in the past, it is a great starting point. I am looking for someone who might have been close with the family in the past to find photos from when the car was in their possession. There is one photo in Johnnie Green's book but it is very small and hard to see our car specifically. I would like to imagine there are more photos out there somewhere. Thanks again.

Ann was active in the RROC in the Philly area. I believe the Keystone Region? Check with Universal Tire, it was her company I believe.

We looked through some of the archives here and found a picture of what we believe to be the Bentley in question. Unfortunately we do not have a lot of information to offer.

post-42549-14314270573_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for looking through the archives. The Blower Bentley would have been owned by the Kleins in the mid to late 60's I'm guessing. I will attach a photo of the vehicle from when it was in their collection. I have no idea how long it was owned by the Kleins but that is what I am hoping to find out :) The first reference was from October of 1963 from the Bentley Drivers Club Review (cover photo) with Charles Jackson participating in the 1st meeting of the activities committee for the Eastern States at the Hershey PA Hillclimb. The next reference is from the BDC again with a letter from Charles G. Jackson including a photo during his ownership from February of 1976. Johnnie Green published the first edition of "Fifty Years of the Marque" in 1969, but who knows when the photo from the book was actually taken at the Klein's collection. Lynn Kissell on the forum mentioned something about getting in touch with Tina McCracken who managed Klein Kars at the time and that she was helpful in assisting with his questions. The email and phone number provided however is outdated and I haven't had much luck in finding new contact information for Ms. McCracken

post-99312-143142706957_thumb.jpg

post-99312-143142706953_thumb.jpg

One other piece of info. to mention: the car was purchased by C.G. Jackson in the US in 1957 so since the Charles Jackson (Hershey, PA) hill climb photo was in 1963 I'm wondering if the car wasn't owned by the Kleins at one point between 1957 and 1963? That's the piece I am trying to fill in. Thanks everyone for your help thus far...

Kalila - I just saw this thread. Are you still interested in learning more about the Klein blower Bentley? Ann Klein was my aunt and I have some old photos, but I'm afraid not a lot of specific information

• Like 1

Not the Bentley in question but this Speed Six was once in the Klein collection. Bob 

DSCF8409.JPG

10 hours ago, Henryd said:

Kalila - I just saw this thread. Are you still interested in learning more about the Klein blower Bentley? Ann Klein was my aunt and I have some old photos, but I'm afraid not a lot of specific information

Yes!   Didn't this car just sell a few years ago?

I have an aquaintance that is in a nursing home that once had a friend in Massacheusets that terrorized the town with a Bentley Bentley. 

It was basically a 2 seater racer with open pipes.

A great Big HUGE car. Fast and loud.!!

Wish I could get the story on here. Crazy stuff they used to do. The owners parents had lots of money and he was a spoiled brat that always got in trouble and bailed out by his parents.

Maybe I'll go interview him.

Google Bentley Bentley.

Bill H

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2014 at 6:42 AM, UVT_Mike said:

We looked through some of the archives here and found a picture of what we believe to be the Bentley in question. Unfortunately we do not have a lot of information to offer.

post-42549-14314270573_thumb.jpg

According to the Bentley site that car was the property of Mrs Klein but it is a 1927 3 litre model. Not a supercharged model.

Hi everyone,

I registered here just for this thread, as I have been doing some sleuthing on cars I have experienced...and this one in particular. 

In 1998 I was a 16 year old garage helper for Mr. Bloor Redding of Indianapolis, IN. He was a good friend of Mrs. Klein's through years of membership in RROC. The day after I got my driver's license (mid-October 1998), he, his wife Molly, and I set out to Lancaster, PA in his 1988 Bentley Continental to take a look at (I think) a Silver Ghost in Mrs. Klein's collection in which he had particular interest. In the below photo which I just hastily dug out of a box (apologies, I had a crappy panoramic disposable camera at the time), you will see the car Mrs. Klein is driving in the post above from nzcarnerd on the right. The car second from the left is a blower Bentley, of course. Not sure if this is the car in question:
IMG_5125.thumb.JPG.5e2cb889ff83dd38c2163f7d34da010f.JPG

henryd, I was very sad to hear of the passing of your aunt 11 years ago. She was an unbelievable host to me, a complete stranger but fellow car lover. It seemed like every week Bloor would tell me about some past event or recent communication involving Ann, so by this point I was in awe of her, your family history, and her collection. She took us to dinner in her little gray yellow-headlighted Peugeot, still able to manually shift 16 years after being diagnosed with ALS. It wasn't until years later that I realized what it really meant to let a dumb barely licensed kid simply sit in the driver's seat of that rarest of Bentleys and let the clutch out and coast for 100 ft in that car.

If memory serves, that Ford on the left was your uncle's...I seem to recall how he had preferred a spartan  all-black car. I also got to attempt, and fail, to drive her Model A. I think she got a kick out of seeing me wide-eyed and shaking with fear. Boy do I wish the kid that took this picture had the foresight to take more!

I encourage anyone to contact me at danristine@gmail.com...This is fantastically intriguing to me still at age 36!

Cheers all!

Edited by Dan Ristine (see edit history)

On the topic of Bentley's, here is a picture of Roy Bertch, Bentley lover and the club carburetor man. He passed away in 2011, but managed to squeeze in the Western New York Bentley Tour in Ron Stokes car.

I am the one with remnants of black hair. John Utz took that picture for his last Flying Lady article while Roy and I were working on PII 201RY.

001.thumb.jpg.358a2cdb920da32191bea3baef552d45.jpg