Watkins Glen here we come!!!

Terry Bond

Any other AACA members headed to Watkins Glen this coming week for the Vintage Grand Prix? Susan and I are taking the 1948 MGTC up to partake of the activities. We're looking forward to touring in the area, driving the old (and new) courses, seeing all the great cars and racing, and kicking tires with all the other MG folks who will be there. MG is the featured marque this year so we are going to be there with the right car. 1948 was the first year and the MGTC started it all. We're also looking forward to some refreshment at the Senaca Lodge to talk vintage MGs. See you there?

Here is a link just to get you excited -

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8259176/nascar-drive-original-watkins-glen

post-30751-143142701193_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

I have mentioned this before about our trip to Watkins Glen in our '29 Essex. We were speeding around as fast as we could go, maybe 40-45, engine screaming. We were taking those corners fast, then the last lap reality sunk in..."Are you crazy, old wooden spoke wheels with no idea of their real condition??"

Yep I backed out of it. By then the damage was done though. She blew a piston the next day, bummer!

Wayne

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

I have mentioned this before about our trip to Watkins Glen in our '29 Essex. We were speeding around as fast as we could go, maybe 40-45, engine screaming. We were taking those corners fast, then the last lap reality sunk in..."Are you crazy, old wooden spoke wheels with no idea of their real condition??"

Yep I backed out it. By then the damage was done though. She blew a piston the next day, bummer!

Wayne

I thought the same thing taking the Amphicar for a hot lap around the 1 mile oval at New Hampshire Speedway. Not to smart. :rolleyes:

Terry: I envy you. We,ve done the Glen many times but this year we chose to go to Stowe, VT the next weekend for the British Invasion. Be prepared for cool, rainy weather. Years ago, I was racing my formula vee at the Glen in October. I went up through the esses and at the top pf the hill it was snowing!! Snow and slicks don't do well together - guess how I know.

Try to get to the International Motor Racing Hall of Fame - worth a trip. By the way, the old street circuit is the scariest thing I have ever been on, especially the down hill stretch back into town. Racers in those days were plenty brave.

Be prepared for cool, rainy weather.

No need to worry about the cold weather this year. Friday is going to be glorious. 91, sunny and almost no chance of rain. Saturday might be a rain out. Sunday looking at 74, sunny and no rain. I will be there Friday to enjoy the action in town.

Terry, have a ball, but remember the cars is old enough for Social Security too. We did the Watkins Glen on theAACA Founder's Tour one year in our 66 VW, but we had a pace car to keep us from doing the Wayne Burgess thing. Still it was a ball, as I weaved back and forth on the track, my wife said "What the heck are you doing". I smiled and said, "keeping my tires warm". It's all about the fun, nobody from big racing venues will discover the next Michael Schuhmacher this weekend.

What a fantastic weekend!!! We got in late yesterday, a bit of rain coming down from Richmond Va but otherwise a great trip. We felt like we were literally a part of history. Laps of the new track were exciting, and to be among the front of the pack of over 130 other MGs was a thrill. Scenery was amazing, the wineries were fabulous, the hotel was perfect, the Friday night street party was a thrill, the food, the roads, etc.etc.etc.....it was a perfect weekend in the Glen! We spent time at the Senaca Lodge visiting with friends from Richmond and encountered a couple of AACA members during the weekend so there was also plenty of time to talk about brass cars, autombilia, etc. I think a highlight was running the old course. That last turn, also known as Milikens Corner when we first come into the village itself was thrilling. As we rounded the corner we were met with hundres of cheering fans waving, taking pictures, and waving flags. Getting to run the course twice was really exciting and was an unforgettable moment. We spent time Saturday (cool and misty) at the new track watching some racing, mingling in the Paddock area with drivers, mechanics and owners, and then toured some wineries. Sunday, we spent at full day at the track enjoying sights, sounds, smells and the comradarie among the race drivers. What a fantastic chance to see these cars close up and kick tires (oops, that's TYRES) with the owners! We watched the Kimber Cup and Collier Cup races featuring MGs and it was amazing to see some rare MGS running the track in at full throttle. I'll get some pics downloaded later this evening or tomorrow as we still need to unolad the MG and get into our boxes of stuff. Without doubt, it was one of the most exciting old car weekends we've ever experienced. Now, with Hershey just on the horizon, it's going to be a wonderful fall old car season for us!

Terry