Video: Groucho pitches the all-new 1957 DeSoto!

Guest Magoo

Guest Skyking

I have some shows of his on DVD that show advertisements but don't have that one. It's interesting to see them advertising a somewhat higher end Chrysler car with blackwalls and dog dish hubcaps..............

It's interesting to see them advertising a somewhat higher end Chrysler car with blackwalls and dog dish hubcaps.

Bob,

The car being pitched was the second-to-the-lowest-priced DeSoto for '57, the Firesweep Sportsman 2drht ($2,791), riding on the Dodge 122" whb and wearing a modified Dodge front clip. But you're right, pitted against a Ford Fairlane 500 V-8 Victoria 2drht ($2,414) the Firesweep cost $300-plus more, and was nearer in price to a Buick Special Riviera Coupe ($2,704, 122" whb) or a Mercury Monterey Phaeton 2drht ($2,693, 122" whb). It was very close in price to its cousin, the Dodge Royal Lancer 2drht, at $2,734.

Groucho notes that the DeSoto prices, "start right above the lowest", so maybe the writers thought folks would be fooled by showing an entry-level model.

extolls the virtues of her new top-of-the-line Fireflite Sportsman 4drht ($3,616, 126" whb), with WW's, full wheel covers, two-tone paint, etc. You wouldn't think Ms. Crain would roll around Hollywood in a car with dog dishes and blackwalls!

BTW, I wish I had that Fireflite Sportsman 4drht in my garage...one of my favorite '50's cars.

TG

Guest Skyking

TG, thanks for another nice commercial. Nowadays, all we see is cars skidding around in circles. Ahh, the good old days are gone.