How to install a 1986-89 Buick touch screen in a different car

Guest kingstonfieroguy

Guest kingstonfieroguy

Ok. I own a 1985 Fiero GT and Im in love with the 80's Buick touch screen. I would like to to do as full an install as I can into my Fiero. I understand that things like the tape deck and air box pieces need to be graphed and thats no problem. I want to know if this is something that can be done and if so, if anyone can assist with any information such as the wiring descriptions or diagrams or if I absolutely need the speedo cluster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, that would be a job. First, keep in mind the system is comprised of not just the CRT, but a CRTC (contoller - 8088/8051 dual CPU based embedded computer that generates the screen displays and interfaces with all the other electronics), and relies heavily on the ECM and BCM for the data it needs to generate screen displays (gages, status messages, etc.) and the RIM module for radio functions.

Point being that this system is very tightly integrated and interdependent on other modules and parts of the car, including the engine. I say that as the system is designed specifically for use with a 3800 as the data it reads for the gage display, temperature warnings (engine, coolant) and other warnings like low oil level are all generated by sensors on the 3800 powertrain which are then sent along by the ECM to the BCM which creates and transmits the data stream required by the CRTC.

So, there is no easy way to do this. Honestly, it would be easier to start from scratch with something like a raspberry pi or beagle bone microcontroller and a good LCD touchscreen. Use that setup to tap off the data line in the Fiero and generate the various screen displays as desired. Lots of programing required, but to reuse the Reatta/Rivera system would require reprograming it's existing ROM in 8088 machine code.

There is no source code or compiler publicly avaialable to do the job, it was developed by IBM and used by GM over 25 years ago now and the development tools have probably been lost to history. Even if IBM or GM had it, I doubt they would just give it away on request.

As well, the system design is such that all modules it expects to communicate with (those mentioned above plus AC programer and IPC) must be present or it will show errors as it continuously checks the "state of health" for all devices on the network. If any go MIA, it will start squawking.

KDirk

Not without a lot of work. The CRT is driven by a CRTC and a special power supply which received data from both the Engine Control Module and the Body Control module. Also AFAIR the 3800 is a MAF engine and the Fiero uses MAP. Finally it is 1980s technology.

In my opinion you would would be better off with a modern Windows based tablet and peripherals that can read OBD-I (GM ALDL) - see www.moates.net . I am retrofittling all my cars (except the 88 coupe) with Hands Free Phone and Bluetooth.

ps: the Fiero is really the "first generation" of GM computer cars and has a slow CCC (Computer Comand Control) ECM rather than the faster P4 of the Reatta. Also the 85 GT lacked the later sail panels & most either had the 3 speed automagic or 4 speed manual, 5 speed was a late into with the V6 so would need to be a labor of love.

pps: I have had quite a few Fieros but nice GTs with 5 speed are getting expensive so I bought something more modern with 6/6. Unfortunatly the "6" gears are a granny 1st, 5th is direct and 6th is not much overdrive. Do plan to replace the 3.25 axle with a 3.07 if I can find a good one. Suspect it needs a 2.73.

ppps: Just a little clarification but while the CRTC is Intel, the ECM (Fiero CCC and Reatta P4) and BCM (Reattea) are Motorolla 6809 based and quite a few tools exist for that platform. A few years ago I modified a Reatta ECM for use with a Getrag five speed. If a "must do" then many people have transplantd a 3800 LN3 with 4T60 trans into a Fiero. That might be the way to go.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Ok. I own a 1985 Fiero GT and Im in love with the 80's Buick touch screen. I would like to to do as full an install as I can into my Fiero. I understand that things like the tape deck and air box pieces need to be graphed and thats no problem. I want to know if this is something that can be done and if so, if anyone can assist with any information such as the wiring descriptions or diagrams or if I absolutely need the speedo cluster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The diagrams can be found at reatta.net. Register to access the copyright materials and you can see them for free. If you put the work in this would not be too hard to do. I would suggest finding a good doner car and grabbing the full wiring and components. It would also be a good time to swap in a 3800 supercharged engine. Kits are available that make it close to a bolt in swap. This will insure all functions will work. If you don't want to do the motor swap most of the function can still work by piggybacking the ecm sensor wires to the stock ones.

Guest kingstonfieroguy

I just want to thank everyone so far for all the help and points. I never dreamed I would get replies so quick