NEEDED: Idle Stator Switch

48Super

The idle stator switch on my '66 Wildcat has a cracked plastic housing and I don't think it is repairable. The same switch would have been used on '65-'66 Rivieras. Anyone have a good spare switch they would like to sell? Here is what it looks like:

post-42951-143142676996_thumb.jpg

I have the same switch with the complete wire w/ terminal attached to a throttle shaft. However, my switch does not have what appears to be the white trigger as pictured on Dick's switch. Out of curiosity, is the white part of the switch removable or is mine broken?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

The switch contact arm (trigger) is an integral part of the switch. This arm is necessary in order for the throttle linkage to activate the switch. I believe your switch may be broken also. The plastic housing get very brittle with age and the results are NOT GOOD.

Mike

I didn't know if were broken or whether a piece was missing. There's no rough places on the switch and from what I see of Dick's, the white part is a separately molded piece. I've never owned a '65 and I'm just trying to get a handle on some '65 parts I bought.

Thanks,

Ed

I have the same switch with the complete wire w/ terminal attached to a throttle shaft. However, my switch does not have what appears to be the white trigger as pictured on Dick's switch. Out of curiosity, is the white part of the switch removable or is mine broken?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed

the "white" part you are referring to is a metal piece with a adjustment screw. It pivots off the plastic body of the switch, attached with a screw on the pivot end. Your switch may have had the metal part removed or mounted differently for a model year other than 1965

arnulfo

• 4 years later...

Hi Daryle,

The switch controls the variable pitch torque converter in the trans. Essentially the converter has 2 stall speeds. High stall transfers less power impulses into the driveline when in gear and at a stand still. High stall also adds to performance at 2/3rds throttle and higher. Low stall engages when cruising at less than 2/3rds throttle and NOT at a curb idle position for efficient fuel mileage and lower engine RPM.

Tom Mooney

14 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Daryle,

The switch controls the variable pitch torque converter in the trans. Essentially the converter has 2 stall speeds. High stall transfers less power impulses into the driveline when in gear and at a stand still. High stall also adds to performance at 2/3rds throttle and higher. Low stall engages when cruising at less than 2/3rds throttle and NOT at a curb idle position for efficient fuel mileage and lower engine RPM.

Tom Mooney

Thank you Tom, Never seen or even heard of this system before

• 2 years later...

Tom, I'm sure everything you stated about the switch pitch converter is correct. Could you please explain how high stall at 2/3 throttle adds to performance? In my mind i would think low stall would add to performance at 2/3 throttle but im sure my thinking is flawed because the factory didn't build them for 2/3 throttle low stall. Thanks for the schooling!

On 8/15/2014 at 5:54 AM, 48Super said:

The idle stator switch on my '66 Wildcat has a cracked plastic housing and I don't think it is repairable. The same switch would have been used on '65-'66 Rivieras. Anyone have a good spare switch they would like to sell? Here is what it looks like:

post-42951-143142676996_thumb.jpg

I have sent a link of this thread to a friend that has a NOS piece still in the box. 

Loren

• 1 year later...