Newbie needs a tip

Guest randy92

Guest randy92

Hey guys,

I'm an owner of an old Soviet car of 1986. It passed to me from my grandpa. Honestly speaking, this car is trash. It always breakes and I'm tired of reparing it. But it gave me one useful thing - experience.

I always liked USA old cars. I could spend hours watching it. Now I'm in USA and I'd like to buy an old beautiful and reliable car. My preferances: old-style looking car, preferably convertible, horse-power and engine volume doesn't matter, price is around 5000$. Any tips?

Old, beautiful and reliable compared to a 1986 Skoda? That should be easy.

Leaving the jokes aside, there are many cars that could fit your description.

I have 2 suggestions. #1 look at lower priced, simple cars like Ford Falcon, Dodge Dart, Plymouth Barracuda, Chevrolet Nova, Oldsmobile Cutlass and similar models. Stay away from the more expensive luxury cars like Cadillac, Lincoln and Thunderbird.

Other cars to avoid are Mustang, Camaro, and muscle cars in general. Not that they are bad cars, they are not. But certain models are so popular they sell for twice as much as other cars that are just as good. If you do not have an unlimited budget you will do better to avoid the famous high priced models.

#2 look for a nice car that you like, one that is in good condition that you can afford. Don't go looking for a specific make or model. We are talking about used cars that may be 50 years old. Mileage, how the car was treated and how it was stored count for more than the make or model. The best value is in a good car that needs little or nothing. It is easy to buy a car that needs a lot of work, thinking it is a bargain. But if it costs more to fix than it is worth, it is no bargain. The cost of repairs and even paint is so high, unless you are an expert mechanic it makes better sense to buy the best car you can.

One more suggestion. Keep $1000 or more in your pocket in case your new car needs repairs. No matter how good it looks, or what the seller says, a car that old is going to need work sooner or later.

Having said that my personal favorites are the Chrysler products like Dodge Dart or Coronet, Plymouth Valiant, Barracuda or Belvedere with slant six or small V8 engine. They are well engineered, reliable, economical and easy to repair. But others are equally fond of Ford, Chevrolet, and others.

The smaller Oldsmobile and Buick cars were also excellent, well made and reliable.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Wherever you are in the US, if you look at Craigslist, Auto Trader, Kijiji or similar web sites you will soon see many good bargains.

Another rule is, I find I can do better buying from a rich person in a good neighborhood, than from a poor person. The rich person's car will be better maintained, in better condition, and I can usually get a good bargain. To a poor person, a real tenth hand junker is like gold and he will try to squeeze every nickel out of you.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)