How to clean a windshield

During school I made a few extra bucks detailing cars. With that said, I'm stumped on cleaning debris off a windshield.

In the past, stubborn debris/sediment would come off using clay w/ ample lubrication (just as if claying the surface of a car). But for whatever reason, clay isn't working (and I've tried two different clay bars). I am certain it is debris and not an imperfection in the glass.

Someone suggested using 2,000 grit sandpaper (which I'm hesitant to try on glass). Another suggested soaking the area with vinegar. After concocting a device that allowed vinegar to soak on the area for a few hours, come nightfall I had a garage smelling like vinegar and the urge to have a salad.

Any suggestions on cleaning this debris (from personal experience)? Thanks.

BTW, it's not tree sap or soot. It isn't sticky to the touch. It feels like microscopic pebbles as I rub my hand across the surface.

Sounds like it might be overspray from someone painting nearby. Try wiping it off with lacquer thinner but don't get it on any painted or plastic surface. Then clean with Windex as you normally would.

Ervin,

In your area you should have no problem finding a professional glass polisher. If Ronnie's suggestion doesn't clean it up, have the polisher come out and see what he can do. I've seen them take wiper scratches and other imperfections out.

I might add the denatured alcohol works REALLY great at removing tree sap from the windshield. It does not do much for bug guts, but for general road film it also works wonders. I have even used it to remove sap from the paint, but be aware that while it is harmless to the paint, it strips off ANY and ALL wax, so I always do a thorough wax when I use it.

A repair shop owner that I know swears by Bon-Ami and 0000 steel wool.

Just make sure that you rinse well when you are finished.

I've used this method to remove all kind's of stuff with great success.