Sign in to follow this  
Roger Walling

Has the term "Barn Find" been replaced by "Classic Auctions"?

While maybe not "true classics" there are some sure fine Buick's included in the sale. Thanks for posting Roger.

82B.JPG

63B.JPG

59B_1.JPG

61B.JPG

54B_1.JPG

99B_2.JPG

193B_1.JPG

123B_1.JPG

108B_1.JPG

109B_1.JPG

008.JPG

007.JPG

And OH, MY..... last but not least check this "Classic" out. Looks to be not quite finished so may could go for a song.

2B.JPG

2B_2.JPG

2B_4.JPG

Apparently "barn find" are code words that make people open their wallets at auctions. For example, this Dino Ferrari...

1973-ferrari-246gt-dino-for-sale-side-11.png

...sold for $222,000 or thereabouts.

THIS Dino Ferrari, at the same auction...

AZ11_r225_01-281-Ferrari-1970-246-GT-Dino-01158_1200.jpg

...sold for $422,000 and is in concours-ready condition. The cost to make the former into the latter will probably be at least twice the difference in pricing between the two, yet there were so many eager buyers for that pile of scrap that they had to start taking phone bids using personal cell phones. And realistically that car was way worse than it looks in photos--all you were getting was a VIN and an engine block, the rest was going to have to be replaced/sourced/duplicated.

There is no reason with "barn finds." But if you haul it out of a garage covered with dirt (and for God's sake, DON'T WASH IT!), there is a shockingly large population of people willing to grossly over-pay for it. THAT is why you see "barn find" all the time. It's money in the bank. It puzzles me, it frustrates me, but it's reality.

P.T. Barnum becomes more correct with each passing auction...

I agree with Matt. It is an odd turn the hobby has taken, and I think in the long run it will turn out to be counterproductive. Most people unfamiliar with the hobby ask when you are going to restore your dirty barn find.

Apparently "barn find" are code words that make people open their wallets at auctions. For example, this Dino Ferrari...

1973-ferrari-246gt-dino-for-sale-side-11.png

...sold for $222,000 or thereabouts.

THIS Dino Ferrari, at the same auction...

AZ11_r225_01-281-Ferrari-1970-246-GT-Dino-01158_1200.jpg

...sold for $422,000 and is in concours-ready condition. The cost to make the former into the latter will probably be at least twice the difference in pricing between the two, yet there were so many eager buyers for that pile of scrap that they had to start taking phone bids using personal cell phones. And realistically that car was way worse than it looks in photos--all you were getting was a VIN and an engine block, the rest was going to have to be replaced/sourced/duplicated.

There is no reason with "barn finds." But if you haul it out of a garage covered with dirt (and for God's sake, DON'T WASH IT!), there is a shockingly large population of people willing to grossly over-pay for it. THAT is why you see "barn find" all the time. It's money in the bank. It puzzles me, it frustrates me, but it's reality.

P.T. Barnum becomes more correct with each passing auction...

Not to mention that "Dino" is the car's brand name, not Ferrari. However, at auction, it's best to use the word Ferrari to capture more money. It's like saying Ford Edsel. Or Ford Lincoln. Or Cadillac LaSalle.

Not to mention that "Dino" is the car's brand name, not Ferrari. However, at auction, it's best to use the word Ferrari to capture more money. It's like saying Ford Edsel. Or Ford Lincoln. Or Cadillac LaSalle.

You are correct, sir! Hence my use of "Dino Ferrari" rather than "Ferrari Dino." People look at you funny when you just say "Dino."

Interestingly enough, the Dinos did not wear Ferrari prancing horse badges when they were built although you will be hard-pressed to find one today that DOESN'T have one. The community has pretty much acknowledged that the Dino IS a Ferrari.