First time, camping questions

mopar_earl

Hello all,

This year is my first time to the show and we want to camp. I can't find any info! Some say there is first come first serve dry camping across from the flea market for like 45 a night. Others say there is no camping. I called and spoke to Hershey Resort Campground and they have dry camping available for 50 a night. I was also told by the AACA Museum staff that they have dry camping at the museum but had no idea how to get a site. So where and how do you guys camp? I have a 32' 5th wheel.

Also I plan to arrive Tuesday evening and stay through Sunday morning. When does the show Peter out? Is it worth staying Saturday night?

Thanks,

Earl

Hello all,

This year is my first time to the show and we want to camp. I can't find any info! Some say there is first come first serve dry camping across from the flea market for like 45 a night. Others say there is no camping. I called and spoke to Hershey Resort Campground and they have dry camping available for 50 a night. I was also told by the AACA Museum staff that they have dry camping at the museum but had no idea how to get a site. So where and how do you guys camp? I have a 32' 5th wheel.

Also I plan to arrive Tuesday evening and stay through Sunday morning. When does the show Peter out? Is it worth staying Saturday night?

Thanks,

Earl

I'm not sure where the details for camping are located, as I had the same questions my first time a few years ago. Only way I found out details was forum :) Been dry camping the last two years across from flea market and I would doubt they would run out of space. I'll let someone else comment if that ever happened. You probably need to make reservations at Highmeadow a year in advance. I like the dry camping better as it's closer and you're really only in it at night. Saturday night if you are attending award banquet, or maybe long ride. Last two yrs camping there were only 10-20 left on Sat night :) Planning on arriving Tuesday also with 40' RV w/ 20' trailer. Watch for the entrance signs for RVs.

Here is an email reply from Hershey Entertainment. I booked a site at Hershey Resort campground instead.

Earl

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us about the upcoming AACA Fall Meet. Our overnight camper parking will open on Thursday, October 2 and will remain open until Saturday, October 11. The cost is $45 per night and each camper is required to pay from the time they arrive until the end of the show on Saturday. All campers must depart by 7am Sunday, October 12. While we do not have a dump station on site, one is available at the Hersheypark Camping Resort which is located just 1.5 miles away on Hersheypark Dr. Showers are available at the Hersheypark Service Center located near the Red Field. The cost has not yet been published for this year but typically cost less than $10.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks,

Matt

Matthew A. Bennett, CPO

Manager, Security Operations

Hershey Entertainment

100 W. Hersheypark Drive | Hershey, PA 17033

mbennett@HersheyPA.com

AACA has no information available anywhere. I called the Hershey office and he said there is no camping at all but at the Hershey Resort Campground. He didn't let me talk and rushed the call. The staff at the museum have no info to tell you. If your new no one wants to help you. Need to let new ppl in if you want the show to live. Took me months but I finally got enough info to at least have a place to camp. A guy that does photographs for AACA and does the Facebook page is the only help I got. He told me to and how to get in touch with Hershey Entertainment and the Hershey Resort Campground. If it wasn't for him we would of gave up and not come.

Very sad for the largest car show on the planet to have no info available.

Earl

AACA has no information available anywhere. I called the Hershey office and he said there is no camping at all but at the Hershey Resort Campground. He didn't let me talk and rushed the call. The staff at the museum have no info to tell you. If your new no one wants to help you. Need to let new ppl in if you want the show to live. Took me months but I finally got enough info to at least have a place to camp. A guy that does photographs for AACA and does the Facebook page is the only help I got. He told me to and how to get in touch with Hershey Entertainment and the Hershey Resort Campground. If it wasn't for him we would of gave up and not come.

Very sad for the largest car show on the planet to have no info available.

Earl

Earl, yes I agree. Almost bailed myself a few yrs ago for my first one. Got rude treatment when I called back then too, so maybe the same guy...I won't mention any names. However, all the other people that I have met after attending have been nice and helpful and probably just one bad apple. I don't think the excuse that I've heard for the one person....they are volunteers, extremely busy, etc...should warrant being rude and not helpful.

Oh, and not the largest show anymore, but of course it's probably one of the most popular :)

Paid or volunteer, don't do it if you're going to be rude or lack ppl skills. The Web site for the fall meet is a outdated joke.

So not the largest show anymore? That guy lied as well as being rude and unhelpful. He said it was the largest show.

I'm going to give the show a try. So far it's not looking good. I didn't bother to book a camp site for next year cause of all the total lack of help and info and lack of organization. Maybe the show will rock and it's just **** poor ppl running it? Time will tell. Night and day differences between Carlisle Events and the AACA Hershey.

Earl

To clarify, largest AACA show, but not largest show in the hobby. Here's one for example with over 8000 cars:

http://www.rightcoastcars.com/syracuse-nationals.php

Of course the apple and oranges crowd will say not as many vendors, trophy's etc...for others, but there are other large shows out there :)

Although I don't see any other region bidding on an AACA National Fall Meet anytime soon (I don't even know anyone can as I believe Hershey has the monopoly on it), I would highly suggest you give it a try.

Once you experience your first Hershey you will have a better understanding of how complex an undertaking it is to put on such an event. Remember Carlisle is a "for profit" venture with paid staff. Carlisle owns their venue. Hershey is non profit and is staged almost exclusively by volunteers. AACA does not own the venue and has to abide by Hershey Resorts' rules. Hershey has been in Hershey since 1952. Unlikely it will move anytime soon. I'm betting you'll enjoy yourself.

Earl, I have not been able to personally get on here the last several days but apparently things need to be made clearer. I am not sure who you talked to but answers would have been very clear at our office! Those who register for the meet get complete information as available at time of printing about all the events of the week. The trifold is also posted online and available to anyone. This show is unlike any other in the world especially since it is free entrance to the public! You pay at Carlisle and other such venues.

Camping is as stated: Either the former Highmeadows (now Hersheypark Camp Grounds) or by taking advantage of the parking at the show site itself. That is on a first come first served basis and completely controlled by HE & R. There are campground's much farther away. The local large parking lots do not allow overnight parking.

To our knowledge, the Eastern Division Fall Meet is the largest show of its kind in the US and has been run continuously since the early 50's. The reason it is so successful is that most of us continue to come back each year for the cars, the parts and the fellowship. Obviously a lot of people are quite satisfied. There are usually folks from 30 plus countries in attendance as well!

Since you spoke to "the guy" it makes me wonder who you talked to as it would not have been the region or the club. Someone being rude at the campgrounds certainly would have been an anomaly as Hershey works hard at their customer treatment.

The experience will be what you make of it, come with a smile on your face and you will leave with one I am sure. There are a lot of things to do during the week! If you have any further questions call me directly and I will get you answers.

They guy I spoke to said his name but I don't recall it. I called this number (717) 566-7720. Don't recall what office it was. If it's Hershey Region or if it's for the fall meet.

The 3 ladies I spoke to at Hershey Resorts Campground were excellent! No complaints there!.

I also emailed a couple of times to a couple of emails and never got a reply. I'm not exaggerating this stuff. Lol

Yes Carlisle is a profit organization but that shouldn't mean a nonprofit organization can't be as informative and have a better up to date Web site.

I'm sure you get lots of spectators that aren't registered or members.

Sorry, not trying to stir the pot but just want ppl to know it's not easy for new ppl to get info to attend and/or camp. Keeping the fall meet Web site up to date and explaining how and where to camp and who to contact for more info would go a long way. I know AACA doesn't have anything to do with the camping but they can at least pass it into their members and guests.

I am coming and if it's a good show I will come every year.

Guess Carlisle Events has spoiled me rotten lol

Earl

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mickadoodle

I don't have a camping question specifically but where one someone advertise a room that is available for the event for those who do not want to camp? We live right around the corner from the Union Canal restaurant and have a private room in our home that we are looking to rent during the event. When we ran Gibson's B&B we advertised thru Hershey but this is just a single room in a residential neighborhood within walking distance to the Giant Center. Any information is appreciated.

I don't have a camping question specifically but where one someone advertise a room that is available for the event for those who do not want to camp? We live right around the corner from the Union Canal restaurant and have a private room in our home that we are looking to rent during the event. When we ran Gibson's B&B we advertised thru Hershey but this is just a single room in a residential neighborhood within walking distance to the Giant Center. Any information is appreciated.

Contact me, through private mail, i am interested, single male non smoker.

• 3 weeks later...