1941 Plymouth Radiators

Guest TheBEAST1941

Guest TheBEAST1941

I have a 1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4 door sedan. Here's my question When they built the Plymouth's is it possible they put different radiators in them to accommodate climates. An other words the I live in Las Vegas where the temperature can get up over 100 in the summer. Plymouth had 3 plants where they built mine came from the mid west and lived in Wisconsin till 18 years ago. I have always had problem with the car not cooling well when it's over 90. Is there a deference in the cars built in LA versus Detroit or Indiana?

John

I am away from my parts books but I doubt it. I think that type of thing came later when some cars came with optional AC and needed bigger radiators.

While I don't currently live there, I've driven my '33 in the desert southwest in summer with temperatures over 100 without over heating (nowadays with modern gasoline's volatility there might be issues though on the fuel delivery system). If your radiator is in good shape, your water distribution tube in good shape and the 70+ years of crud removed from the bottom of the water jacket the car should not over heat. So I'd start with some cooling system maintenance before deciding a bigger radiator is needed.

Guest TheBEAST1941
I am away from my parts books but I doubt it. I think that type of thing came later when some cars came with optional AC and needed bigger radiators.

While I don't currently live there, I've driven my '33 in the desert southwest in summer with temperatures over 100 without over heating (nowadays with modern gasoline's volatility there might be issues though on the fuel delivery system). If your radiator is in good shape, your water distribution tube in good shape and the 70+ years of crud removed from the bottom of the water jacket the car should not over heat. So I'd start with some cooling system maintenance before deciding a bigger radiator is needed.

About 14 years ago I had the engine completely rebuilt and the radiator re-rotted and replaced the thermostat. I just recently re-rotted the radiator and flushed the block over the weekend. She still wants to get hot while idling. I have it advanced 2 degrees from TDC. She does ok when the temperature is 70 - 85 outside.

I seriously doubt they used different rads. They did not know where a car was to be used, they might sell a car in Maine and the driver take it to Arizona the next week.

You should read this story by the original owner of a DeSoto Suburban 8 passenger sedan, and what he did to keep it cool pulling a trailer from Death Valley to the Rocky Mountains.

A heavy duty fan would help keep cool when idling but does not do much when you go over 30 MPH.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/suburban-1951.html

It may be possible they have a poor water pump impeller design. I found, while locating a new one for mine, Ford had a design early on (1942) in the 6 cylinder that liked to cavitate, later designs changed the impeller design for beter water flow.

Guest TheBEAST1941
I seriously doubt they used different rads. They did not know where a car was to be used, they might sell a car in Maine and the driver take it to Arizona the next week.

You should read this story by the original owner of a DeSoto Suburban 8 passenger sedan, and what he did to keep it cool pulling a trailer from Death Valley to the Rocky Mountains.

A heavy duty fan would help keep cool when idling but does not do much when you go over 30 MPH.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/suburban-1951.html

I should have added I have a 6 volt fan for the parades and when I'm sitting in traffic and yes its flowing throw the radiator from the front.

Guest TheBEAST1941

I replaced it 14 years ago when I had the engine rebuilt, but it's definitely a possibility and it's something I have considered doing again.