1929 Franklin oiler

Jrbrks

Would all 1929 Franklins be fitted with an oiler?

If so, could you tell me where it would be located and/or does someone have a photograph of what it looks like installed?

Are there shutters to control the engine temperature? If so, where are they located?

I am trying to determine what might be missing. I already know the car has been fitted with a Zenith carburetor, as the original Stromberg was the pot metal version.

I am considering the purchase of a 1929 Model 135 and am trying to become a bit more knowledgeable in a very short time.

Thank you,

Jim

Hi Jim,

All series 13 cars have an internal oil pump to supply oil to main and rod bearings. The pump is inside oil pan and is of the "distributor" type where the oil pressure is directed to each main bearing individually. There is a way to put a groove in the gears of a 1929 pump to have continuous oil pressure to all the bearings, but the pump will not produce as much pressure as the 1930 and later oil pumps.

There is an external oiler that pumps oil to the valves, but it is inadaquate and the valves must still be oiled by hand ever few hundred miles. The external oiler has a weight inside that, theoretically, on a rough road would bounce and turn a ratchet mechanism, pumping oil to the valves. Roads today are too smooth for this to be effective. I have seen engines where the valves are oiled by a line from the pressurized oiler from inside the engine, but it takes a lot of effort to make this work. (usually way too much oil and the engine smokes) In my opinion it is easier to just oil them by hand.

Inside the "hood front" there should be horozontal shutters that are hooked up to a thermostat on the engine that would open them when the engine warms up. On a 130 I have seen the shutters manually controlled from the dashboard without a thermostat. The thermostats are available (I have several in a box) and there is a person in the midwest who rebuilds them.

Please let me know if you need any more information. I'm in the Los Angeles Area.

Rob

If you're near Bakersfield, then you should contact my dad Lee Webb. He has a barn in the Rosedale neighborhood with enough parts to build 4-5 29's from scratch and some complete cars you could look at including a mostly original 130 Sedan and a partially disassembled 135 Sport Sedan. In April we have an "open house" for Franklin club members during the HCCA Bakersfield Swap Meet. His number is 661-599-1670.

Thank you Rob. I gave your Dad a call this evening (Friday) and left a message that you had suggested I call.

Hopefully, I can catch up with him this weekend to further "educate" myself.

I live on the northwest side of town, so we are likely not too far apart.

Best,

Jim