trouble installing shifter?

Guest rwolf

Guest rwolf

I'VE INSTALLED THE SHIFTER 4 TIMES , START THE ENGINE AND NOTICE THE ( JACKED-UP) REAR WHEELS SPINNING. AFTER RESETTING THE GEAR COLLARS TO MATCH THE SHIFTER FORKS AND INSTALLING THE TRANS TOP I STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. I NOTICED THE REAR GEAR ON THE TOP BAR ALWAYS ENDS UP AT THE REAR OF THE TRANS. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

I had the same issue with my 31 buick.

I shifted the tranny into neutral and aligned the forks for neutral before installing the sifter cover. However, the forks move while I installed the cover.

You need someone to watch and push the forks in alignment while you install the cover.

Good luck,

Mark

As Mark said, put the gears into the neutral position as per photo, Put the gear lever in the neutral position, place a 1" piece of wood across the top of the gearbox so you can see that the selectors have gone into the selector slots on the gears. But saying this, are the wheels being driven by the gears or are they just turning from the friction from the flywheel input shaft onto the main gear shaft. Often one wheel will turn when up on jacks. You should be able to stop the wheel spinning by hand, or put the hand break on.

post-64273-14314266389_thumb.jpg

Its so simple it's great. With the wood placed I could see the gears and forks and it was simple to slide the gears into position. Thanks.