37 dodge

rons49

Could one, or more, of you guys tell me if the 37 Dodge used a Carter WA-1( automatic choke)? My friend just bought the car and the Carter was on it. I have listings for only Stromberg EXV-2. This Carter has the automatic spring choke , but it runs rich, and the idle is fast and when the engine is shut down a small amount of fuel drains down and out the fuel drain tube at the base of the exhaust manifold. I don't want to play with this if it is the wrong carb altogether. It is also missing the spring and "pin" for the heat riser. Any ideas where to purchase the spring? Ron

Thanks Jon, My friend just bought a 37 Dodge 2door that was totally show GN quality. As I was going over the car, I drove it and the idle was too high. I rolled open the hood and to my surprise a lovely WA-1 sat on top of the manifold ( I have two 968s on my 53 hornet). Out side of B&Bs I never saw Carters on a 30s-50s Chrysler product, or are they listed in Motors or Chilton. There is of course a "oreo" thermostat housing that has no chimney tube, and a dummy knob on the dash that has no purpose. I guess that was the choke pull knob. Did the Stromberg EVX-2 use a manual choke? This car is soooo beautiful that will recommend he look for a original Stomberg. We will, meantime, jury rig the Carter to idle slower and flood less. Who knows what the float is set at?

In the "for what its worth" category:

Export models in 1937 had a manual choke. The export model carburetor is set up for the manual choke. If I were planning to tour with one, I would just have to tell people it was an export model, and install the manual choke.

Just my opinion.

Jon.

True, if both carbs(manual choke or automatic) are Stromberg bxv-2, but the '37 presently has a Carter WA-1, has no choke hooked up, idles fast and dumps fuel a few moments after shut down. The car is show quality but the Carter is wrong so why try to make it work when we can install the correct one. What brand /model is on yours? Ron

I don't have the Dodge shop manuals, however:

Often, small truck engines have one or more of the following as compared to car engines:

(A) lower compression

(B) smaller valves

© smaller profile camshaft

(D) smaller passages in the intake manifold

(E) smaller ports

The reason...the trucks were designed to move a load (therefore more low-end torque required) at a lower final speed than passenger engines. Thus the truck engine was optimized for higher torque at a lower RPM. Since the lower RPM would mean less air required at WOT, smaller venturi were often used in the truck engine to improve low RPM volumetric efficiency.

And, please re-read the first sentence in this post; I do NOT have the Dodge shop manual. The comments are for truck/car engines differences in general.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)