50 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

OTOH, a lot of guys who take their cars to shows do it to show off to the other car guys.  They couldn't care less if the crowd was there at all; it's all about them.

And for a less harsh perspective, people do tend to gravitate towards others who share a common interest.  In some respect, it's only normal that you'd spend more time talking to a guy who's familiar with the subject than a person who has limited or no knowledge.

when I was 19 I bought my 63 after working for my family all through high school. Well worth the wait after I saw one at a car show when I was younger. One thing I noticed at car shows was a lot of people sitting in chairs not near their car looking at people from afar and i asked my dad what they were doing. He said they were there to show off to one another and make sure nobody breathes on their car.

I try to let others enjoy it, but drum brakes are too scary for some.

I never understood why to sit by the car and instead make my way around and mingle. I don't like to sit for long. It's awkward at times trying to relate to what is mostly an older crown but I get it done.

is 20 considered to be apart of the youth movement? Also have a friend with a 66 t bird and it always has problems. Think I understand the bad reputation now.

Was they guy in the original post the driver? Looks like he found a convenient chair while he was txting, hehe.

I purchased my first car (65 Riviera) when I was 18 (now 39) and my 10 year old daughter loves Rivieras (influences). 

These classics are being cherished, discovered, and rediscovered by all ages, tribes, and creeds!

On 8/14/2014 at 4:20 PM, Seafoam65 said:

I've never understood how Ford managed to sell so many T-birds after the Riviera came out. In 64 and 65 the 40,000 unit limit hadn't been reached for the

Riviera and they were available for sale. The Riviera was 10 times better looking, with a much higher level of trim and 10 times nicer driving, yet the T-bird sold about 65-70 thousand cars each of those two years......I'm totally baffled by this. This is not even mentioning the difference in quality between a Buick and a Ford.

Here I am with Black Betty devouring the competition, my friend's Blackbird.

IMG_4468.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 0:45 PM, first64riv said:

...One thing I always made a point of doing was to engage the crowd.  If there was someone looking at my car, I'd ask him if I could answer any questions they might have....

Too many times this past weekend, I noticed that the enthusiast that brought their cars were too involved in talking among themselves...

Thank you.

Chris

Excellent point, Chris!  I do the same thing, as I'm

active in the AACA and a regional editor for them.

First of all, shows should be located where the public

will encounter them, and preferably not hidden behind a

highway motel at the off-ramp of Exit 29A.

At one of our local shows, our AACA region had cars

on display at a factory-outlet shopping center.  Some

teen-age girls, age 13 or so, walked down the row of cars,

and I showed them the features of a Corvair they were

looking at.  Even the fact that there was no center console,

that you could get in one door and slide across to the other

side, was novel to them!  And I got the owner to open

the front hood, and there was no engine!  They were amazed.

They wouldn't have noticed those things if someone 

hadn't pointed them out.

And I always point out how affordable the hobby can be.

MANY, MANY people have seen auctions of $100,000 cars

on television and think the hobby is out of their reach.

They are simply amazed when I tell them the truth.