Sign in to follow this  
Classic50s

Evans Waterless Coolant

Has anyone used Evans Cool in their vintage car or truck? I saw Jay Lenos youtube page and he had a video about Evans Cool. I became interested because nailheads run hot and to be able to never worry about cooling problems again has me thinking. Cost is about $35 (give or take) per gallon, but you never have to worry about overheating, corrosion, or freezing water in your engine. Whats your all take on this modern coolant for our vintage cars?

EDIT: Here is the link to the video

I bought some to put in my pre-1916 cars, but then read it is not recommended for non-pressurized cooling systems.

Phil

Evans' web site says that their product will actually increase the running temp of the engine by 7 or so degrees. Its advantage is it doesn't boil until 375 degrees. A friend had less than satisfactory results trying to use it in a non pressurized RR Ghost.

Search this forum, there have been at least one long thread about Evans. I use it in all my prewar, non-pressurized cars and really like it. I believe they offer a different formula for non-pressurized systems.

Here is a link to the HCCA Newsletter which addresses the waterless coolant issue. It says: "Thermo-syphon cooling requires that the coolant expand when heated. NPG does not expand appreciably. "Thus it would not circulate. Evans tech support was very explicit when I called them about this very question: NPG is not for use in Thermo-syphon cooling systems."

Evans also offers "High Performance" coolant for "modern, classic, vintage" cars. Perhaps this works in the non-pressurized systems. Anyone care to call them? Their Helpline is 888-990-2665.

Phil

After seeing the damage of 100 years of galvanic corrosion on the inside of my Mercer's AL water manifold, I switched to evans. So far I'm very happy with the cooling, although I have a conventional water pump. I will say that the Evans seems to weep much more readily than H2O through any and all gaskets or other potential gaps.