Sign in to follow this  
383Roller

My '63 project

Doug,

If the P and the R are at opposite ends and the trans works according to those marks then someone did swap a '64 425 in with the '63 dynaflow. What you won't know, and may never unless you get that far, is whether the '63 crank was used (same stroke on a 425 as a 401) or whether a '64 flex plate was modified. One other thing you need to check. Look at the stamped aluminum band on the distributor and get the number from it. The '63 and '64 Buicks each had different distributors. The '63 is timed at 12* and the '64 is timed at 2-1/2*. Because the transmission kicks down the way it's supposed to, I'm guessing the carb is the original '63 carb. Could be that just a short block was swapped or it could have been the entire engine. It will take some searching but you can identify all of the parts eventually. Much easier to tune properly is you know what everything is from.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I'm going off this post in my reply. KW is an engine from a '64. That engine would have been backed up with a 3 speed ST400 Transmission. To mate that '64 engine to a '63 transmission, you have to change crankshafts in the engine or machine a '64 flex plate to bolt to it. It also requires a different carb to make the kick down work properly, the '63 is mechanical while the '64 is electric, and would need a '64 shifter to get the neutral safety switch in the correct position.

If in fact the car does have the original '63 Dynaflow transmission, you'll soon realize that it is very much like the new CVT transmission in some of today's era cars. The Dynaflow is not designed to use L except getting out of mud or snow, or other typed of those kinds of situations. The Dynaflow is basically a single speed transmission, not a two speed, that uses a number of torque converters to propel you from zero to over 100 mph without you ever feeling a shift. When you select the kickdown feature by stomping on the accelerator, it does not shift into L, it switches the pitch on the converters to give you a different stall speed which in essence is like downshifting. Don't use L then shift to D, the trans is not designed to work that way. So if you feel that your car may be starting in 2nd gear, remember there is no 2nd gear. That's just the way the Dynaflow feels when it pulls away from a dead stop. As Jim Cannon says "Love that Dynaflow hum." It's effortless, makes for the best cruising transmission on the planet. It's always in the right gear at the right time. :)

Here's a quick way to tell what transmission is in the car. Where is R in relationship to P? We'll take it from there.

Ed.......thanks for the transmission lesson.....that's what I get for reading Hemmings Motor News ........they stated in their early Riviera article that the 63 had a two speed automatic, not a Dynaflow. they said if you didn't like the two speed automatic you should look for a 64 riviera when purchasing an early Riviera. I agree with you

that the Dynaflow is a fabulous transmission. Is it any problem getting someone to rebuild a Dynaflow nowadays?

Here are my impressions of the transmission:

L has very good low speed torque and drives comfortably without too much revs to about 40 mph.

D takes quite a bit of fuel and time to get going off the line, but once up to about 15-20mph off it goes! I have yet to take it on the freeway, I need to rebuild the brake booster first.

Ed, do these impressions run consistent to what you know on the dynaflow?

sat I spent the day working in the riviera, first the exhaust manifold gasket was addressed with only one broken bolt head to deal with. Then to the fuel gauge; I learned that it was an open circuit when tested which means there was a disconnect somewhere. I pulled the sending unit to find this.

1zns7eg.jpg

i crimped the connection with a piece of copper and soldered it, presto! Piece by piece it's coming together. Hopefully today I'll get some of the last electrical issues dealt with.

Hello all and welcome newbies. I haven't been in forum for some time because of work & family illnes

My 1963 has a fb5535 and a 10E production code. My only difficulty is my engine. The engine is painted light green and the code is 4Ixxxx. That would make it a full size Buick engine, ie; LeSabre, Wildcat, Electra, etc.

That's capital i!

Spraybob,

Welcome, I see that the above post if your first. You must have been lurking in the viewing mode. I'm sure that there are answers to your questions, but you'll get a much better response if you start a new thread rather than attaching to one that is not germane to your questions. It's easy to do. When you're on the home page for the Riviera Owners, you'll find a Post new thread button. Just click on it, title your thread, and ask your questions.

Best of luck on obtaining the information you're looking for.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

hey riv nut i have a 64 and was wondering other than on the windshield and engine where else can i locate the vin number

Other than the cowl and the engine block, supposedly, there is (are) VIN number(s) stamped into the frame. I've seen them on 2nd generation (66 - 70) Riviera but never first hand on a 63 - 65. Perhaps one of the frame off guys can answer this better for you. Just curious, if the VIN on the block and the cowl match, why are you looking for one someplace else? Here's another curiosity, did you type this out on your smart phone? There's no capitalization or punctuation in your post.

Ed

I pulled apart the hubcaps after deciding to hold off on new rims, painted and polished every part. They came out so nice I'll keep them!

here is before and after photo

15g85k9.jpg

I had my gas gauge working well, but now it has a mind of its own; coming on here and there.

Im still trying to solidify my color choice for paint. My wife has an 09 enclave with a nice stock color I like, anyone have photos of 1st gen with tinted windows?

Ive got the car sanded and stripped, waiting on getting it to the booth, when I see other classic cars rolling around I really start chomping at the bit to get her done, my projection was for summer this year car shows. I'm on track for that but still antsy regardless :)