1960 Chrysler Saratoga Hardtop *SOLD*

*SOLD*

This is one of those cars that I got really excited about for all the right reasons. The Saratoga was Chrysler's mid-range line in 1960, but I think I'd rather have this one than a New Yorker or a letter-series car simply because I like the grille better. It packs the thundering 383 cubic inch V8 and the Black over Toreador Red color combination can't be beat. I'm a conservative guy and don't like to over-sell the cars I list, but this one just has to be the nicest one of these in the world and I would conservatively rate it as a 2+ or even a 1- in terms of condition. The only possible demerits are an incorrect battery (which will be remedied before it is delivered to a new owner), some very minor pitting in the original exterior door handles, and some light scratches on the base of the side mirror, which is also original. And the undercarriage is as clean as the top.

As you'd expect, the dramatic bodywork is laser-straight and it appears that it is wearing all its factory-issued sheetmetal with no patches or replacements. With a known history back to Day One, it has never been in a major accident and there are no signs of major surgery during the restoration. The paint is incredible, as it doesn't show even the slightest polishing marks in the black top, a testament to the quality of the work and, perhaps more critically, to an owner who is the most meticulous and careful gentleman I've ever met. The chrome is all show quality save for the two items I mentioned above, and all the badges are crisp, sharp, and properly finished in gold anodizing. The glass is excellent as well, with all the panes save for the windshield being original to the car.

The upholstery is black and red leather, not vinyl, and it's just about the coolest interior I've ever seen. The asymmetrical front seat is a neat way to put the focus on the driver and the instrument panel is perhaps the the most wonderful set of gauges ever created by man. It's hard to photograph, but it's like a half-sphere with the gauges inside, arrayed in a 3-dimensional way and the effect is stunning. The steering wheel is restored, the radio and clock work properly, and yes, it does have a push-button TorqueFlite 3-speed automatic. The only issues inside are some very minor bubbles under the silver laminate that makes up the inserts on the door panels. The trunk is also correctly finished with a mat, a full-sized spare, and a fully functional power antenna.

This Saratoga got a strong-running 383, which moves the big hardtop without working very hard. Fully rebuilt and highly detailed, the engine purrs like a luxury car motor should but moves all 19 feet of hardtop like it weighs 1500 pounds less than it does. It's quite startling to be in something so large that's also so fast. Proper markings were duplicated, reproduction decals and clamps were installed, and there are no signs of leaks or other issues underneath. We believe this to be the car's original, numbers-matching engine, although there's no way to be positive, and the same goes for the transmission and rear end. The chassis is as detailed as the bodywork and it's interesting to note that this car used front disc brakes as standard equipment from the factory--one of the first such offerings from a domestic automaker. Flashy chrome wire wheels and Goodyear wide whitewall radials round out an already high-impact package, and I think you'll agree that they're the right choice.

This car is superb in every possible way: looks, performance, and quality. It comes from a collection that is beyond reproach and the only reason the owner is selling this incredible Saratoga is because he's afraid he won't be able to keep it as near-perfect as it is today and doesn't want the responsibility of letting it slip. Wow! We're asking $59,900, and there's just no way you could duplicate this car for twice that figure. And remember that letter-series cars are fast approaching six figures and convertibles are already well beyond, making this amazing hardtop somewhat of a bargain. Thanks for reading!

post-31138-14314265409_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142654094_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142654098_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142654102_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142654106_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142654111_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142654115_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314265412_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142654125_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314265413_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142654135_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314265414_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

• 10 months later...