Old pin-type couplers

WHSEWARD

The grease fittings on my 31 Lincoln are for the most part, brass or bronze pin-type grease fittings (NOT standard Zerk fittings). I bought a couple of SAE standard pin-type couplers to access these pin-type fittings. They attach fine to my modern grease gun but not to a vintage one that I bought in an antique store. That is not the big problem, though. They also do not attach to the pin-type fittings on the car! I checked the ID of the SAE couplers and they measure 3/8" ID. The old pin-type grease fittings measure 13/32" OD, so the coupler head won't fit over the fitting.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution? I hate trying to take the old fittings off the car because I am afraid I will break them. Is there another type of coupler that will fit?

I wasn't aware there were two different diameter Alemite pin-type fittings but the adapter I bought from MSC in Harrisburg fits the old style Alemites on cars of the early 30s that I've had occasion to grease. The other end is a modern Alemite hydraulic fitting that fits every grease gun I have.

I'm pretty sure that it's the Alemite fittings. I went back and checked another fitting or two on the chassis and the coupler I have does fit over those, but I also went back and put a vernier caliper on the pin-type fitting (earlier I had used a pair of dividers) that the coupler wouldn't fit over, and I got 3/8 + 4/128 or 3/8 + 1/32 = 13/32" for an OD. So both OD measurements came out the same for that fitting. The fittings have grease in them so obviously something fit over them once upon a time. Would reaming out one of the couplings I have work? BTW, I did go to MSC and bought a coupling from them - we'll see how that works.

The good news is that the old vintage gun fits right over the standard Zerks on the water pump and fan bearing, so I will get at least some use out of that one.

Here's an update on the coupler issue. I got a reply from Alemite, who said that their pin-type couplers' OD's were .406-.409". Well, 13/32" is 0.40625" so I guess my measurements on the "oversize" ones were not too bad. Anyway, I am waiting to see if the guys that sold me the SAE-type couplers will take them back, and how the one from MSC works. I re-measured the ID of the SAE couplers and they are 3/8" plus a very slight overage, maybe 1/64". So how hard are these fittings to ream out?