1954 Oldsmobile Ninety eight, $9k obo

Guest grassman

Guest grassman

i have inherited a 1954 Oldsmobile ninety eight. i am selling because already have enough toys and an unable to store it indoors like it deserves.

car is a 1 owner vehicle and i have the original sales receipt from the dealer. also have the sales floor book, and other dealer books that relate to the car. service records also. the car is in IMPECCABLE condition and never been in any wrecks or anything of the sort. the only flaw in the paint is a small chip in the paint behind the front driver wheel. interior is in good shape but shows signs of use to be expected since this was purchased and used as a family vehicle. car has been stored for an extended period of time and has normal "sitting" issues (brakes could use attention and trans as well, but from what ive read this seems usual for a hydramatic) car has 84k and change on it.

with minimal work this could be a great cruiser for the fam. even with the sitting issues the car does run and drive, but i would not consider it to be a road ready car

i think the best way to describe the car is a numbers matching survivor car in excellent condition. Asking price is $9,000 obo. i can and will deliver for a fee in an enclosed trailer. please feel free to ask any questions either here or on my cell phone (six1six 2931413)

thanks for looking, Randy

pics!!

20140720_174953_zpsv3il7mud.jpg

20140720_174801_zps8voay0b6.jpg

20140720_174910_zpsf4ge44cp.jpg

20140720_174811_zpsegbwlhyz.jpg

20140720_174557_zpsfb5voymp.jpg

20140720_174525_zpsgs2u0x9b.jpg

20140720_174509_zpscij46x2l.jpg

20140720_174431_zpsvcvske0i.jpg

20140720_174445_zpszum4wbvj.jpg

Edited by grassman
update price (see edit history)

Guest mikeburch

BEAUTIFUL CAR ! What a great cross-country driver this could be.

If I was in the market for another car, I would be interested.

Good luck with your sale.

mikeburch

Guest grassman
Randy, potential buyers will want to know where the car is:

Ohio, Ottawa, Oslo, or---?

Looks like a good car for someone.

sorry about that, car is in Belmont MI, which is just on the north side of Grand Rapids

thanks

Those front bumper guards are interesting.

I agree, Dale, that they aren't the most graceful things,

but I've never seen them before. And they are a part of 1954 history.

Historians preserving and documenting history may appreciate

all the features and options of that year, even if they

were bought at Western Auto, J. C. Whitney, or they came

straight from Oldsmobile.

My 1957 Buick came with rubber floor mats made by the

Wooster Rubber Company. The mats are not from General Motors,

but evidently the original buyer didn't want to pay dealer prices

for floor mats and bought them after-market in 1957.

The Wooster Rubber Company is now Rubbermaid.

I wouldn't think of getting rid of them: A small facet of 1957 history!

There were tons of those in the 50's, but that when we were still PUSHING cars to get started, or to get the car home for repairs, or didn't want to get hooked up with other bumpers. Did that often, hehehe.

I'm sure some were dealer installed, but doubt those guards were factory added/options.

Dale in Indy

Those bumper guards were common in big cities for both the front and rear of cars, maybe not so much for pushing, but for protection from others when they were parking.

Back in the 1940s and 1950s, I many times observed New York City streets where someone trying to park, would "improve" a spot on the street by pushing the cars ahead and behind. That was back when a parking brake was used, and many cars did not have automatic transmission with a "Park"position.

Many taxicabs also used those aftermarket bumper over-riders.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the lucky buyer if this fantastic 1954 Olds 98. the seller, Randy, is a fine fine gentleman, and a man of his word!! A big THANKS to him for all that he did for me to help complete the sale. You can all have the utmost confidence in future dealings with him. My highest recommendations!!!

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2014 at 4:26 PM, imotors said:

I am the lucky buyer if this fantastic 1954 Olds 98. the seller, Randy, is a fine fine gentleman, and a man of his word!! A big THANKS to him for all that he did for me to help complete the sale. You can all have the utmost confidence in future dealings with him. My highest recommendations!!!

As an admirer of all things Oldsmobile, I can say with certainty that this is one fine ride!

Few examples of the 1954 Oldsmobile model year are extant.  A great buy!

I really liked this car and thought about buying it myself, but after reading the new owner/seller's description and noting that it needed to have the brakes, engine, and transmission rebuilt (among other things) before it was road-worthy, it seems like less of a good buy and I feel like I dodged a bullet. Still it's a nice car and now surely a terrific car with all the fresh work, but two years and many thousands of dollars of work made it that way. Kudos for persevering and keeping it original. Good luck with the sale!

For some closure:

I see that the Ebay sale attracted 51 bids, and that, 

after the car's needs were addressed, the sale price was $11,196.

I hope it found a good, appreciative home--ideally a

newer hobbyist, 18 or 22 years old, just starting a lifetime collection!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is hoping that it found a good home also. Just want to say  a few words about the seller of this car.  I have known Steve, the owner of Imotors for many years and hate to see him  retiring and selling his business. Always fair and represented his cars with great detail and honesty,  something that is getting harder and harder to find these days.   I hope he has a great retirement, he deserves it!