Full-Size Standard Shift Cars, 1950-1973

1950Dodge

I've got a 70 Buick Estate Wagon with 455 and three on the tree.  For years I thought I had the "only one", but an article in the Buick Bugle showed 26 were produced. After 250 k miles, the frame decided to get thin. It was great to drive in the snow, oops.... Awaiting a frame someday ......😉

It was bought used to replace my father's 1966 4 door Biscayne 283 - 3 on the tree, that was rear ended in 1978. I was driving a 1966 Biscayne station wagon with 283 - 3 on the tree at the time. I got the Buick wagon when my father bought a 1979 Scooter (4 speed standard equipment, NO options). He never bought an automatic transmission, but Mom did!😁

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2014 at 10:13 AM, 1950Dodge said:

Here's my tally, showing the car and the years between 1955 and 1973 that I have not seen the car in manual shift form:

Chrysler: 1955-1960, 1964-1973

Would be interested in the experience for other Forum members.

I have seen one each 1957 Chrysler 300-C and 1958 Chrysler 300-D with 3-speed on the column. These are quite rare factory prototype/race cars, but were technically supposed to be available to order. I've seen three 1960 Chrysler 300-Fs with the Pont-a-Mousson 4-speed with shifter in the console (drove one of them!) One was the Daytona Flying Mile winner and the other two built for influential people.

I've seen at least two each of the 1964 Chrysler 300-K and 1965 Chrysler 300-L with 4-speeds. Not many of those built, but not special like the ones above. (You can probably guess I'm a 300 guy - saw most of these at 300 meets.)

In the mid-60's, my great aunt and uncle were both driving close to new cars, both with manual transmission and radio delete.  My uncle was the only dentist in a small town and could afford what ever he wanted.  His car was a 1964 Impala 9 passenger wagon with three speed manual on the column with overdrive and factory A/C and radio delete.  My aunts car was a 1965 Buick Special, factory air, 3 speed manual transmission and radio delete.  While visiting, I ask my aunt why the cars were equipped that way.  She responded "I want to know what gear I'm in when I drive and your uncle will kill us on the highway playing with the radio".

I guess he won out the next time because the next car was a 1972 Lincoln Town Car.

On 11/17/2014 at 3:34 AM, countrytravler said:

1965 Impala SS triple black convertible. 409-400-4 speed with 4.11 posi. No p.s. or brakes. Just raw power, gauges, tachometer, power top and AM radio.That was in 1968. Bought it from the original owner with 3 drag racing tickets. Had 20.000 miles for 400.00. I was 16 at the time.

post-78906-143142833158_thumb.jpg

I was 16 in 1968 too. In the summer of '69 I got my first car-a dark blue '65 Impala 2 door hardtop with the 230 straight 6 and 3 on the tree and A/C. The unusual thing about this is when my dad decided that I should have my own car he wouldn't let me go with him to pick it out. I asked him to at least try to make it a 2 door with a V8 and stick. He knew I had a heavy foot so he said it would have a 6 or I could walk so of course I took the 6. He had a friend who was a salesman at the local Ford dealer so I was expecting him to come home with maybe a Mustang with a 6 but he went to the Chevy dealer instead. A friend and I changed it to a floor shift but the shifter was for a '57 Chevy so it would hit the dash when I shifted into second. A year and a half later I got a '67 Cutlass Supreme with the 300 hp 330 and 4 speed with black buckets and console. That was more my style. LOL...

Do you still live in Sonora? I have a brother who lives near you in Groveland...

On 11/17/2014 at 3:34 AM, countrytravler said:

My '64 GP was ordered with the 389 and HD 3-speed on the column (actually a FoMoCo transmission), no PS and manual brakes.  The car currently has a T10 installed by the second owner (who I bought the car from).  I have all of the original pieces and may return it to 'day 1' at some point if I ever get tired of rowing the 4-speed.

I once scored a 66 Impala 4 dr hardtop that had a 427 and a three on the tree.

It was stolen right after I got it painted. I had to rebuild the engine as well. This was in about 1985 or 86.

I am sure that that engine got transplanted somewhere and the car wasted.

I loved that second gear for awhile.