Portland Nationals

WWS

I would like to extend a Thank You to the BCA National Meet Commitee for putting together a wonderful Nationals here in Portland

Great venue, well organized and just a fantastic show.

A special thanks to Mike and Nancy for everything you did to make this show go smooth

Mark

Absolutely fabulous photography! And Jeff already gave me the photo disc, so look for a great article in October about this. I, too, had a great time despite working 18-hour days at the meet. Thanks to everyone who worked to make it happen. Highlights for me were doing articles and photo shoots on the unrestored '48 woody with 47,000 miles, the 4-speed '63 LeSabre, and being schooled on what is correct for a 1927 Country Club Coupe for an hour in the parking lot by the man who restored it (I recently bought one just like it)--that is something that would only happen at a national meet.

Pete Phillips

MrEarl, I think I had even more fun this time around!

A few of Jeff McConnaughey's shots from our 1959 Division Driving Tour last Wednesday on the Historic Columbia River Highway:

14583465830_fbbf4ba9e4_b.jpg

14770002775_109cd555da_b.jpg

14583365708_e189ba3943_b.jpg

14769999405_ffbe42f018_b.jpg

14769673532_fd7288f3db_b.jpg

That is super-bad!!!

I saw your car Brian, but I was busy when I saw you and couldn't break away. Next time...

Mike, sorry that I missed you.

Friday and Saturday were absolutely remarkable, and I'm sure that my experience was not at all unique. It was almost impossible to move more than ten feet on the show field without becoming engaged in Buick conversation. I'm not a "talker", and have never experienced anything quite like this before. I had a very difficult time even taking a break for lunch or a bottle of water. Who knew that so much fun could be so exhausting?!

The time in Portland confirmed the statement that I have often made to new Buick collectors in my area: "There is NOTHING like attending a Buick National Meet."

Here's one more thing that struck me about the weekend. I've attended national meets for several other marques of automobile. They're all great, but, for many marques, there is a very limited range of model years that show up at the meets. At a recent Lincoln Continental Owners Club national meet, for example, almost every car in attendance was a "slab side" Continental from the 1960's or 1970's. At a Pontiac National, there were few cars shown that were built prior to 1960. Here's where the Buick Club is really different; we saw amazing Buicks from EVERY ERA!

A few of my favorites? The 1939 Roadmaster convertible sedan was positively spectacular, and I returned to it again and again. The one family-owned 1958 Limited, recently restored, was another show-stopper. I loved the light green 1951 Special coupe that the owners had driven on their honeymoon in 1966. I had the opportunity to drive Gary Klecka's original stick-shift 1949 Super Sedanet, and loved every moment behind the wheel. The unrestored 1937 Century slant back sedan would be most welcome in my garage. And I loved the tale of the Andersons' 1948 Super 4-door sedan, which was sold out of the family for twenty-five years, then re-discovered during the 1990's.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

I would certainly pay for a set of 3 or 4 of those photos in high resolution 11 x 14's. I could make the check out to the 59 chapter.

Imperial62. Please feel free to PM me. I'm not sure if Jeff is on the Forum much, but I'll be happy to pass along your request to him.

The meet was fantastic! It certainly appeared to run flawlessly, although I am sure Mike Book had plenty of fires to put out as Meet Chairman. The trick is no one knowing anything is burning! :)

My favorites had to be the two tone white/blue '61 and the turquoise mist '65 Wildcat Convertible. Of course, I loved ALL the wagons, including, but not limited to, Colonel John Hannon's '75 Estate Wagon.

Late night conversations in the lobby, parking lot, (and the bar), are always my favorite part of the meet. Lots of great stories told there.

I have to agree with Brian L., there is absolutely NOTHING like attending a National Meet!

I looked for Brian but wasn't successful in locating him. Stuff happens.

I'd find it hard to pick a favourite but it is nice to bring a car that there aren't 18 of. The '36 McLaughlin-Buick phaeton that was originally sold to the premier of BC, the '34 McLaughlin-Buick, the Canadian build '27 for the prince of Nepal and the story that went with it, and many others were really neat. It seemed to me that this year many cars had intriguing stories. There was only one GN, which is unusual. The in colour for Reatta this year was white - ours would have fit right in.

Guest COMPRESSION

I am very new to the whole Buick thing (and american classic cars in general), I just picked up a '57 Super on a whim this last spring. I had no idea what the Buick Nationals were, but I decided to check out the scene last Thursday during my lunch break from work. I guess it was a big coincidence that the Nationals were being held just up the highway from me the same time I happen to stumble into Buicks just a 2 months earlier. I would have attended again on Saturday to browse the show, but the family had other plans for me.

It was amazing to see these great cars from the past. Many I have never seen before, I had no idea about Buick's history. Here are some pictures from Thursday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31536204@N00/sets/72157645913949825/

I am convinced I need a 1965 Riviera now....

I dont think my car will ever be on par with the ones I saw, but I am OK with that. I just plan to build it how I want it and enjoy it.

So are the Nationals held every year in a different city? How does that work? Is it invitation only? Would my semi-rusty-faded-paint 1957 Super ever be welcome at such an event? Or is the show too high-brow for my low-brow car? Just wondering. Too bad it was running/driving for this years show, could have cruised the 10 miles from my house to the show very easily.

The Buick National Meet is held in a different part of the country every year to serve most of the members of the Buick Club of America. I say most because, as of yet, we have not held the meet in a foreign country. It is required that you be a member of The Buick Club of America to enter your car.

We welcome all Buicks regardless of condition, we have cars similar to your 57 and cars that would place at some of the finest Concours.

People come for the cars, and leave having met and made new friends.

If you do not belong to the BCA yet, the form to join is at https://www.buickclubofamerica.org/subscribe.html.

You get a world class magazine with your membership that will tell you all you need to know about Buicks.

Next years meet is in Springfield Mo from June 10th - 14.

Come join us for some fun.

Great photos, Compression!

My first national meet experience was Flint, MI in 2003 for the Buick Centennial event. Talk about a mind blowing experience... Since then, I was able to make 2004-6, and 2012. I will be there in 2015 since it is in MO. My two favorite parts about going to the national meets are seeing/meeting friends, and buzzing around the swap meet. The cars are just a bonus.

Isn't is NICE to hear all the fun so many of you all must have had, FUN IS GOOD!

Happy for you all, I don't really know Mr. Earl, but hope to meet him and many more of you all SUPER people in Mo. I did meet a few in South Bend.

I have promised myself to be in Springfield with the Limited, WITHOUT SCALLOPS Mr. Earl, but with my Buick models.

Dale in Indy

The Buick National Meet is held in a different part of the country every year to serve most of the members of the Buick Club of America. I say most because, as of yet, we have not held the meet in a foreign country. It is required that you be a member of The Buick Club of America to enter your car.

Bill,

Isn't membership only required for the 400 point judged class? My registration form indicated that non members could enter their cars in Display, Driven and Modified classes.

Not that I am saying you shouldn't join, just pointing out that I don't think it is a requirement to enter the show.

And "Compression", there is an active BCA chapter right there in the Portland area!

2014 was the last year for allowing non-BCA members to have a car judged at any level. For 2015 and beyond, any non-member who pays the higher 'At Large' registration fee will have no other choice but to enter the car as Display only. But I see that as a discount for joining the BCA. If you join the BCA for $50 per year, you get a $20 discount on registration for the National Meet ($35 instead of $55). So join before the show and enjoy the discount and the wonderful magazine you get every month. It is well worth it.

Some statistics from the 2014 Portland National Meet:

443 separate registrations

831 people officially registered

23 separate vendors taking up 43 spots

8 Buicks for Sale

283 Total Buicks were registered. Of those:

98 were formally judged in the 400 point system (8 of those were formal Senior status)

26 were judged as Archival / Unrestored

67 were in the Driven class

22 were Modified Buicks

70 were Display Only

There is an active chapter in Seattle and Portland.

You can enter as an "At Large" member and that will include the cost of a BCA membership.

You have to be a member for our insurance coverage. So one way or another, we will get you .

How long of a membership term do you get for an "at large" entry, through the end of 2014? I didn't see it advertised anywhere that you were actually getting a BCA membership with your fee, and had several people ask me beforehand why they weren't doing that.

The non-member 'At Large' registration fee covers the registrant for only the duration of the meet. Not wanting to get too detailed, but it is an insurance thing. As it was explained to me, the BCA insurance which covers the meet participants only covers current BCA members. So we are forced to collect some sort of fee to make those registrants members for the duration of the meet. This satisfies our insurance carrier.

The numbers for Portland are a little better than previous west coast meets, the most recent one being Seattle in 2007. The east coast meets will draw a little more, due mostly to a more dense population of BCA members there. I don't have all the figures with me right now.