Sign in to follow this  
Retired w/Reatta

Windshield Help

The technician is here and was about to lay in the new windshield when he noticed some distortion in the glass due to rubbing on styrofoam blocks during shipping.

The company says it can't locate another one in the west.

Anyone know where I can get a line on a new windshield?

Thanks,

S.

Since there is only one supplier (manufacturer) -namely Pilkington - the autoglass outfit you are using should be able order one without much difficulty. Lead time may be a bit depending on where Pilkington warehouses these (may be only one location for all I know) but they are available.

I confess I do not know how these are distributed; if Pilkington sells and fullfils orders directly from their stock or if there is a second layer of wholesale distributors who sell to auto glass installer companies on their behalf.

I imagine larger companies like Safelite may well keep a few strategically located around the country to reduce lead times for their own retail installation operations but smaller regional and independent outfits are probably stuck going direct to Pilkington or their regional reps if there is such an arrangement in place.

KDirk

Try this:

red_arrow_bullet.jpgPilkington Glass (Windshields)

"We can supply you with the OEM quality auto replacement glass you need. Plus, you can order it complete with the original LOF sandblasted logo and date coding. Please call us toll-free at: 1-800-848-1351."

Safelite recently told me they would have no problem getting one. But it wasn't going to be inexpensive!

Here is the shop that I was at...

[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]SAFELITE AUTOGLASSĀ®[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5119 NE 158TH AVE[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]PORTLAND, OR 97230[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD](503) 258-6505[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Well as chance would have it, I need a new windshield too. The outfit that is going to replace it said they had two available here in Oregon last week, but by time I got the insurance company going on it a week later, they were gone. Now I have to wait about 8 weeks for one to come from Ohio. And the car is going to be judged this weekend in Portland at the BCA meet. GRRRRR!!!!

I probably got the two your glass co mentioned. You should be glad. I've tracked down three Pilkington windshields in Oregon; all three have distortions/etching in the glass due to rubbing from styrofoam blocks. The distributor is trying to "clean" the distortion out. They've tried on one windshield and it didn't work. They're going to try to fix another one tomorrow. I'm not optimistic. At least you can drive your Reatta. I don't have a windshield.

I'm curious to know if anyone who has ever had a windshield replaced has encountered this problem?

None of the fixes worked. The glass company is ordering one from Pilkington Classics (the number Ronnie mentioned) in Ohio; shipping is 7-10 days, cost over $1000. I'll let you know what happens.

None of the fixes worked. The glass company is ordering one from Pilkington Classics (the number Ronnie mentioned) in Ohio; shipping is 7-10 days, cost over $1000. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the update.

John F.

Ouch. Seems like Pilkington needs to rethink the packaging on these, if they are getting blemished that badly in storage. A rather substantial loss to have 3 of these unsaleable (at least as "A" stock) given the retail cost.

Question is, what happens to these now? Are they sold at a discount as B-stock units to someone willing to settle for a flawed glass, or do they get destroyed and written off?

Curious to know how these are handled.

KDirk

Owning a body shop I would estimate I install maybe 100 windshields a year. Every so often we get a little mark or scratch in glass. If it's not something that can be polished out we just toss em. I knew a few college kids that worked at the main warehouse for auto glass as a after school job and they said windshields get broke all the time in handling and boxing them up to ship out they acted like is was no big deal just grab another one and go

So this is beginning to get a bit annoying. I get a call from the glass company yesterday telling me that the new windshield has arrived but it also has a distortion in the glass due to shipping; they would not accept it. They said they would call Pilkington about it and also try to find out if Safelite makes a Reatta windshield.

Not only did I miss the BCA meet in my own backyard, now I'm missing enjoying summer driving. Somewhere along the line I must have pissed off the Reatta gods. Anyone know of a sacrifice I can make to appease them?

Someone is paying the manufacturing and shipping costs of these windshields, how can they afford to keep throwing them away?

Isn't there a line from a song something like," the music goes on and on...". I spoke with the glass guy today (I'm getting to be a regular on the phone, everyone at the company knows my voice), they have ordered yet another windshield and have been assured from Pilkington Classics that this is a good one and they sent it expedited shipping; should be here in six days. Pilkington also told my glass co that they have plenty of these windshields in stock. I asked what the retail price is and I was told (sit down for this); $1725. plus $125. shipping! My $100. comprehensive deductible is looking better all the time.

Isn't there a line from a song something like' date='" the music goes on and on...". I spoke with the glass guy today (I'm getting to be a regular on the phone, everyone at the company knows my voice), they have ordered yet another windshield and have been assured from Pilkington Classics that this is a good one and they sent it expedited shipping; should be here in six days. Pilkington also told my glass co that they have plenty of these windshields in stock. I asked what the retail price is and I was told (sit down for this); $1725. plus $125. shipping! My $100. comprehensive deductible is looking better all the time.[/quote']

That is a cheap price. My last one I had installed on a customers car we had here cost us around $2500 installed.

That is a cheap price. My last one I had installed on a customers car we had here cost us around $2500 installed.

That's a $500 windshield, plus 4 defective $500 windshields. $2500!

Sounds about right. SMH...

I would hope so too, although the co I'm dealing with, Cascade Auto Glass, said they returned all the windshields to Pilkingkton in Ohio.

I found it interesting that the stickers on the first windshield said Made in Mexico covered by a sticker saying Made in US.

Did you happen to photograph the defect?

Was it a physical defect that would affect the mounting/sealing of the window or just cosmetic?

I tried to take a photo of the defect but it doesn't show. When you look at it all you notice is a slight wavy pattern, kind of like the glass is bent.

It is not a physical defect that would affect the mounting/sealing of the glass. It is a few inches above and to the right of my line of sight.

Brian-Why is your Reatta your only Buick w/o a name?

It's actually my son's daily driver for now. I don't think he's named it, although I've thrown around a few ideas PITA would be one...

Yesterday [14 Aug '14] I drove the 92 miles to Safelite Glass in Grand Junction, Colorado. Top down, big smile on my face,----I thought I'd come home with a clear windshield!! Silly Me!! Safelite told me they didn't have the tools to change a Reatta windshield! They had the windshield but were INCOMPETENT to change it!!! I tried to tell the kid how to remove the trim but, he tied to baffle me with bull ****! I'll be talken' with my insurance man today!!!

The technician just left. One day short of five weeks and after refusing four windshields I finally got a good one.

I have to wait two hours before I can wash or drive it. I can't wait to get on the road again.

Your patience is admirable. If my car was wide open (without front glass) for 5 weeks, I'd have long since gone ballistic. Glad you got it done and with good glass no less.

KDirk

Sorry to have misled anyone. My car was not wide open for five weeks. That would have drove me ballistic too. The technician broke my original windshield taking it out. When he realized the replacement was no good, he was going to take it back to the shop when I convinced him I did not want a big gaping hole in the front of my car. We all thought it would only be for a few days so he duct-taped the windshield in place.

I couldn't drive anywhere so I got a few jobs done I've been thinking of for a while; like scraping off the rust and repainting the battery shelf, painting the windshield wiper arms and giving the engine compartment a good cleaning.

Lately I've learned to make lemonade instead of sucking on sour lemons.