A/C issue with electronic controls

Guest ReattaCat

Guest ReattaCat

So, 90 coupe w/ sunroof, had the a/c converted to the new juice, works great now *except* it won't turn on from inside the car---won't work w/ the climate control IOW.

So, history..they (shop i took it to) checked the operation of the a/c (after doing the conversion) by grounding the wire in the compressor circuit coming out of the Engine Control Module...cause it wouldn't work when they tried using the climate control pad (but everything *else* works just fine on that pad). So that's how they know the A/C system itself works (compressor etc). It's just a control issue that's the problem! So they started wiggling wires under the hood and a cable run that goes way under the airbox, well, when they tugged around on *that* the a/c went on and cycled like it was supposed to! But just like momentarily then off again. Problem is when they went to look for the "short" or whatever that behavior indicates, they couldn't find _anything_--and they looked for *hours* (which, fortunately they didn't charge me for). I mean they actually looked for days cause they got stubborn about it and really tried hard to fix it. They tried replacing the Engine Control Mod with another one and it made no difference either. (and put my old one back in but just *gave* me the new one cause they felt so bad they couldn't fix it. haha) Anyway, so after they threw in the towel on it, I then went to an auto electric guy (Toomey in Puyallup, WA) and he looked at it and said he thinks the problem is in the "climate control head" he called it. That is until i told him abt the wire wiggle deal and then he just said maybe it was a wiring issue and sent me to *another* shop that he said had better test equip.

Oh, and the "check A/C light"--never comes on, but it works (isn't burned out or anything) cause i did check that.. And also the A/C never worked be4, since i bought the car. The mechanic said that was cause all the old coolant had leaked out--which is why they did the conversion to the newer "R" stuff.

So, until that appointment (Wednesday ) I'm gonna do the trouble tree deal that's in the shop manual *myself* (which looks pretty simple actually) and see what that tells me. Also--- is it possible that the splices under the seats could have _anything_ to do with this?? They don't seem to be part of that circuit, but i'm not sure-- so thought i'd ask you guys what you think? I haven't messed with them yet cause i haven't really had any really *big* reason to (as it's a *big* job to do as i understand it.)

The *only* other electronic problems in the car are 1) the dimmer switch doesn't dim anything--i think that's cause of the little light sensing thingy that sits under the dash is shot. and 2) there's a certain weirdness abt the interior lights...as sometimes they work like normal (odometer lights up, security light lights up and the interior lights come on and then go out within 10 minutes) but *sometimes* either the odo light doesn't go on and the lights go out immediately as soon as you shut the door *or* the odo light *does* come on and it --and the lights-- _stay_ on like forever--which, if u don't check, kills the batt! (So i always check) To get those lights to go off like normal when they like, stick, like that, i just disconnect the battery ground and reconnect it and after a couple of tries it either goes back to normal or goes to the "lights shut off immediately" program where the odo doesn't light up when u open the door. Other than those two issues everything else in the car works like new.

So..any advise? and if by chance anyone is from Tacoma WA area or even Seattle--is there any mechanic that you know of who is _really_ up on Reatta/Riviera electronics of this year? Most of the shops i call have never worked on these cars period let alone the electronic part of them. I am wishing for a guy for my Reatta like the one i had when i used to drive Z cars all the time for years...he specialized in them and could fix anything. I should say *can* cause i am pretty sure he's still in business (Fairlady motors in Tacoma). Been a few years since i had a Z car tho.

Anyway..help?? :P Thanks in advance. ;)

PS i posted here a few months ago re; a brake upgrade using LS1 calipers and big rotors? well...I did that an it came out *great*-- thanks to the brake conversion gurus here. :) (I should post some pix as I did the rotors black and yellow with white lettering and they look really sharp with the big vented rotors..)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Pull diagnostic codes and see if any BCM codes in particular have been set. If AC set a code from lack of freon in the system, it will not allow AC to operate until it is cleared and the charge is restored.

To clear those latching AC codes in a 90, it is apparently necessary to disconnect the battery for a minute or two and then reconnect. Of course this resets your other saved settings like your radio presets, clock, etc.