Selling a car

nick8086

Sell it cheap = Car flipper

Sell at market price = Car owner

Does it really matter?

If it does then whatever type of car it is try to join their group and sell within. This way you have a better chance of finding an "Owner" who is looking for your car.

What's wrong with a car flipper? This individual cleans it up, details it, maybe new paint and rubber, and then someone purchases it.(Who now becomes the "Owner")

Good luck Nick in whatever direction you go!

Just my 2 cents with a dime thrown in........

Bill

I'm with Bill. You get more cash (usually) from a guy who is buying to own, but with a flipper you can often get close to that (if you know the actual market value of what you are selling and are a hard negotiator and are willing to allow the flipper an honest but modest profit for his work) and flippers provide a fast sale and immediate cash payment which can be worth the difference to many sellers.

I can always tell if I sold to the right person if I get the cash before he takes the car.

And, I couldn't care less if he resells for a profit.

I always sell too cheap, and buy too dear. I don't like it, but that seems to be the only way I can buy or sell anything. I envy you guys who have a choice between selling cheap to a dealer, or for a lot more money to an individual, I am lucky if I can find one buyer at a giveaway price.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I always sell too cheap, and buy too dear. I don't like it, but that seems to be the only way I can buy or sell anything. I envy you guys who have a choice between selling cheap to a dealer, or for a lot more money to an individual, I am lucky if I can find one buyer at a giveaway price.

Yep Rusty, that happens to all of us!

I have found that it's best to purchase during the Summer months because of less competition (Vacations and out camping, etc) and sell in the Fall, Winter, and Spring because everyone is at home with nothing to do but spend money! (December is the exception of course)

Always end your auctions on Sunday nights and NEVER end it during a Football game!!!!!!!

All this is in fun of course!

Bill

Guest AlCapone

Nick. Why do you care if you are selling to a flipper / dealer ? Set a fair price, sell it to the highest bidder and then forget it ! Wayne

I agree... once you sell it's out of your control. If that bothers you too much, don't sell. Even finding an "owner" doesn't guarantee he won't ratrod it or drive it into a tree. As much as we like to treat old cars like ornaments, they were built to be driven.

I finally relinquished my hold on my 1967Dodge A100 compact pickup after a 23 year ownership. HAD to sell and was in a bind. I tried contacting a guy who REALLY wanted it. His number could not be reached so I called a mutual "friend" who was a go-between to the guy I was going to sell it to. I felt comfortable that the truck would be going back east to New York so I would not have to see it locally. I was VERY attached to that little truck. Turns out, the go-between/"friend" decided to keep the truck for himself. Not only did he deceive me, but also deceived his friend in New York. I am still furious with the guy who ended up with it. I know....it's just a truck. Just goes to show you, no matter what your intent is, anything can happen. A week after I sold the truck, the money I needed to pay bills came in. Had it happened earlier, I would still own my little truck. Nothing I can do about it, now.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

When I sold my 37 Dodge Pick up it was running and driving but far from restored. I did not want it to go to a street rod person but when you sell it you have no control. I did find a buyer that was in to Dodge trucks and not street rod. He came with a really nice 1955 Dodge dump body truck and trailer to take it home. It was nice to see that outcome. Be who knows, that was 5 years ago and maybe now it is a rod. Just have to enjoy the memories you had with it and go on.

Terry