[TD]7:00 am - 8:00 am

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]West end of hotel parking lot

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Judges Breakfast ( Judges & Admin only)

[/TD]

[TD]7:00 am - 9:00 am

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Grand Ballroom - Salon 4

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Judging of cars

[/TD]

[TD]9:00 am - 3:00 pm

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Show field

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Hospitality Room

[/TD]

[TD]9:00 am - 3:00 pm

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Hayden room

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Portland City bus tour

[/TD]

[TD]10:00 am - 2:00 pm

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reatta Division members meeting

[/TD]

[TD]3:00 pm - 4:00 pm

[/TD]

[TD]Elect officers & general discussion

[/TD]

[TD]Hospitality room - Hayden

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Social time

[/TD]

[TD]6:00 pm - 6:30 pm

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Grand Ballroom - Salon 1&2

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Awards Banquet

[/TD]

[TD]6:30 pm - 10:00 pm

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Grand Ballroom - Salon 3&4

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Childrens Banquet

[/TD]

[TD]6:00 pm - 10:00 pm

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Hayden room

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Questions from a potential Buick Club member / first time attendee at a Buick National Meet:

Please, let me apologize in advance- my intention here is not to criticize or complain. I was contemplating joining the Buick Club and attending the National Meet next week. As a newbie to both, I am looking for some info and clarification.

For months now, I have considered attending 2014 national meet. Once a week, I check in at the Buick club website and on AACA Buick forums waiting anxiously for the details. The Buick club website offers a general description, but it was quite vague. I have read forum posts from many members asking for this information to no avail. Then, with only one week to go, the actual details finally appear (this thread). Was I looking in the wrong place?

I realize people join Car Clubs for many reasons. Personally, I enjoy the camaraderie with others that have vehicles from way back when. I enjoy driving vintage cars. I really enjoy getting together with a bunch of folks that want to drive their old cars on actual "driving tours" in a "rolling museum" fashion.

So, after perusing the National Meet itinerary, it appears there is but one "driving tour" listed. Save for the "judging,” all the rest of the events look like bus tours or meetings. If that were correct, why would someone drive or trailer their vintage Buick (1400 miles one way, in my case) just to go on a BUS tour while the cars sit idle in a parking lot? Call me dumb, but I don't get it. Maybe the Buick National Meet is intended for events other than driving-type tours. Don't know, never been to one.

On the itinerary, referring to the event: “1959 Division Driving Tour 9:15 am -?? Driving tour on Historic Columbia Gorge Highway"

This, I assume, is an actual "drive your Buick” tour. What does “1959 Division” mean?

LAST QUESTION:

So, does the Buick club normally sponsor any actual "drive your vintage Buick" car tours on the west coast? As in "rolling museum" type tours? If so, do many pre-war Buicks show up or are they mostly modern iron (Reattas and such)? (I see the Orange County group has organized two groups to drive up to Portland together. That's what I'm talking about!)

Thanks for your time and patience, Joe.

You have to be a member of the Buick Club and register your car and yourself in advance to participate in the various events, tours, and the judged car show. All of the details, including registration forms and costs have been published in the members' monthly magazine for the past year. If you are not a member, you can still come and see the cars on display and shop for parts in the swap meet, but I'm sure you will understand that a large event like this takes much planning in advance (how many busses to order for the tours, how many trophies to order for the car show participants, how many meals to order for the banquet, how many show car parking spaces to set aside, etc.), and for that reason, the activities are only open to registered members of the BCA. It also has a lot to do with the Club's liability insurance for these events. I'm not aware of any national car club that allows non-members to show up and participate in their activities without registering and without being a member of that organization, other than being an interested spectator. Registration for this meet closed a few weeks ago.

The 1959 Division is for owners of 1959 Buicks. There are many different divisions and groups within the BCA, and they all have their own events and tours, often in conjunction with the national meet. Join the BCA, get the magazine, and become an active, informed participant. www.buickclub.org has information on how to join the club.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

tdrjoe,

I see you have almost 500 posts over almost 7 years, so you should by aware, especially if you are talking about vintage car driving, of the various groups. Most of these are organized separate from this forum. These are the BDE (Buick Driving Enthusiasts, The PWD (Pre-War Division) both of which arrange driving tours after the meet. The PWD has a three day trip after the meet ends starting Sunday morning. The BDE usually runs a 5 or 6 day trip. Other groups, such as the '59 owners and Reatta usually do a short drive during the week of the meet.

You should understand, that while many of the Board of Directors and other officials of the BCA are on this forum from time to time and also on a regular basis, this is not a formal official BCA site. It is open to all interested in Buick and some that may have only limited interest. Official communication is via the Buick Bugle and from the BOD via Chapters and Regions and Division, following Bylaws and SOP. Unfortunately it is a bit late to participate in this west coast meet (registration closed July 6). As Pete said, if you want to come as a spectator you would be welcome and you will learn more about the BCA. Next year the meet is in Springfield, MO.

Joe, I wish you had raised this question about two months ago, or if you did, sorry we missed it. Are you planning to go to Portland?

John

This is an open question, slightly related to the apove...

My father and I will be attending the Portland show as spectators as we are not BCA members. We will be joining the club to be able to participate in club events as well as to be able to join the closest club to us. Now for the questions....

1) Can we join the BCA at the show?

2) How can we meet the members and introduce ourselves?

3) Can we join the forum breakfast on friday?

4) Is there anything else we can do to participate (we are not looking to join the tours etc. as we are northwest locals and have been on the roads etc)?

Thanks for any info, and hope to see some of you there :).

Robin

Robin,

Many of the officials involved with the meet are already in route and may not respond to your inquiry. But, I will attempt my best to answer your questions. I believe you can join at the meet, but you might not have all the credentials immediately. You should find the office staff, Mike or Nancy Book and I would encourage to do this as early as possible in the week before they get real busy. You can join on-line now, but it would not be processed until after the meet.

No.2, you will have to just go around and engage people, especially near the cars were you find people with the same era cars you have interest, or anyone with Washington plates. As you have a Pre-War car, as well as a '60, I would encourage you to find Mark Shaw, who well be heading up the Pre-War Division, and you will find him in the parking lot, or lobby area.

No.3, As far as I know, you can attend the forum breakfast, if there is still room to sit. You have probably followed some of the chatter on the forum, a lot of attendees are well familiar with each other, and see each other once a year, but new members are always welcome.

The driving tours after the event are conducted by the BDE and PWD after tour are separate events which involve driving and interesting stops along the way, so even if you know the roads and lived in an area a long time, I am sure you would find things not often seen.

What days do you expect to attend?

John

John,

Thank you so much for the information. We were planing to arrive in the Portland area late Thursday as we have a meeting south east of Portland mid day Thursday, then need to meet my brother in Camas, east of Portland, for dinner and family time. The plan was to go to the breakfast and then meet people and view the cars on Friday. Now that you mention the timing for meeting the office staff I think we might push up our arrival to Wednesday so that we can get an earlier start on things. I think I can move the Thursday meeting to Wednesday then spend Thursday meeting people and drooling over the cars ;). We will see what dad thinks of this idea.

Again, thank you for the info.

Robin

Thanks Pete, John, Robin. With all of your additional information, I was able to dig a little deeper and found a few missing puzzle pieces. Here goes...

The general outline of the events are on the registration form. I briefly read this form awhile back and I recall seeing alot of "???" in the schedule , as well as seeing the "Evergreen Space Museum" listed as an event on Wed, Thurs, AND Friday. I recall briefly reading the registration form the first time around and thinking "this can't possibly be the final schedule --No way do you need three days to see the Evergreen!"

You have to be a member of the Buick Club and register your car and yourself in advance to participate in the various events, tours, and the judged car show.

Just to clarify this point to others who may want to join this meet or future BCA National meets, after re-reading the registration form, I discovered the following near the top of the form:

"NON-BCA MEMBER AT LARGE REGISTRATION" so people like ROBIN and myself can register themselves and their cars. It costs $20 more and you won't be eligible for getting your car judged or registered in the "archival" category.

Pete, don't feel bad, I missed it, too. And the point is well taken about joining the BCA to get all the juicy details through the Club Newsletter.

Here's the link to the registration form : http://www.buickclub.org/2014/Oct%2026%202013%20Revised%20Portland%20registration%20form.pdf

Thanks to John for educating me on the "groups". 500 posts, indeed, but mostly those are on technical or mechanical related subjects. Not so much on Club inner workings. Yes, I wish now I had asked two months sooner!

And finally thanks to Robin, who wanted to know some of the same stuff I did (only you get to the point a lot quicker than I). I found some answers for you, too. Check out the very bottom of the registration form where it says "Registration deadline is July 6, 2014... LATE OR DAY OF EVENT registration AT MEET DIRECTOR'S DISCRETION"

BTW Robin, that's very cool that you are going to bring your Dad. That was my plan, as well. Bring my Dad and the 1937 Limited 90 up to Portland for some vintage Buick action. He was a BCA member for many years with folks like Harry Logan, Jack Corliss and Wayne Yonce. Me, I just work on the old cars and love to drive them. That's why I was inquiring about how much actual " Buick touring" takes place at the national meets.

Hope everyone has a great time in Portland. I guess maybe I'll get started on next year's plans......