79 t top

Guest everythingcustom

Guest everythingcustom

hello i have a 1979 cutlass cailais t top with bucket seats shifter in floor... the interior is red with a red top and silver in color. it has a chevy 305 in it... i was wondering how rare this car was if any....i am a chevy guy and this is my first olds.....thanks

Guest everythingcustom

thanks wayne i was informed that rare is a term used more to describe....particular cars that many were not produced......so even though there are not many still floating around it doesn't necessarily make it rare....thanks for the response.....

Your car comes from that long-ago time when Oldsmobile was the third-best selling manufacturer (behind Chevy and Ford) and Cutlass was among the top-selling nameplates. I know, it's hard to believe these days, unfortunately.

While the Calais is hardly rare, it is far less common than the Cutlass Supreme of 1979. The higher end Supreme had a few more bells and whistles than the Calais, along with some unique trim including the grille and front fascia.

My brother converted a 1979 Supreme into a Hurst/Olds clone, and needed to find the unique bits to complete the conversion. It was not as easy as you might think. They made 240,917 Supremes in 1979, but only 40,842 Calais models (Standard Catalog of Oldsmobile 1897-1997). None were exactly the kind of cars people treasured and preserved through the 1980s and 1990s. Trying to find a decent Calais grille was quite a chore.

Guest everythingcustom

yea Joe. i think the cutlass stands out the most in Oldsmobile history (for me)...even though the gto and lemans i have seen were pretty nice too...@David with so many variations of the same car ...i would have hated to be the production manger on the assembly line through out those years....as to my particular car...with its boxy front end and sloping back end...im going to call it the mullet....buisness in the front party in the back....lol