Headliner Retainer Alternative?

WillBilly53

I finally got around to starting to installing the headliner (I ordered last summer)

I was wondering if there is an alternative method for retaining the headliner to the strips. My car didn't have a headliner and is apparently missing the retainers that screw to the strip on the inside of the roof rail. I think the headliner is tucked between this and the strip that is attached to the roof rail.

I saw a few months back someone on here with a '57 was looking for repros to no avail. And now that Wheatbelt is gone I was wondering if anybody had an alternative method or ideas on fabricating something? I found some '53 CHEVY retainers from RPM on ebay and thought I might could "adjust" them.

Any ideas?

How about spray foam insulation, and I am sure you could do some nice artwork on it.

What exactly are you missing?? Do you have all the strips? Are you just missing the clips that mount the strips to the roof rail? If so these are interchangeable between many years including '54. If that is what you need, I am sure we can knock down a few wasp nests and pull some for you. By the way, I'm drinkin Angry Orchard these hot summer days.

Hey Lamar!

Upon my research I think I'm missing pieces that looks like this:

Headliner Retainer

The way I understand it there's the pinch welded strip that has rubber/fiber on the inside of the roof rail. The windlace is stapled to that then the headliner is installed and simultaneously tucked behind the piece in question which is tightened down with sheet screws. At least that's how the manual explains it.

I'll be more than happy to get a case of Angry Orchard for ya!

I actually used the kind of strips that are being discussed here on the 51 Cadillac coupe I once had. Mine were missing so I got mine from a same year Buick and just modified them a little. They only cost me a few bucks back then. Yes, there was a tack strip for the windlace. There were original bits and pieces still left in the car but it was a heavy card stock type material.

Thanks folks! Tim, that would be great if you could check on the retainers. I sent you a PM.

I took a chance and ordered the '49-'52 Chevy retainers off ebay. They came yesterday and unfortunately the curve is too shallow and they are too short (I'm wondering if they are for a 4 door or maybe 2 dr Chevys have pillars?) I think I could use them if I had another set that I could chop up and modify. Tim I'm hoping you can help me out :)

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: Headliner is looking awesome.

Tim hooked me up with the bows and took some photos of the inside roof rail of his parts car. It seems that the '53 doesn't have the metal saw tooth retainers like the '52. I just stapled it to the tack strips that the windlace is stapled to. I had some wrinkles here and there and it didn't seem as I tight as I've seen. (And believe me, I know how to stretch material and staple it to a substrate - I hand construct all my canvases for my fine art paintings :) Anyways, when installing the inner garnish molding last night, I noticed that these pieces are what really help tighten up the headliner. At every screw hole on the garnish molding, there's a sort of angled bracket on the back side that to help tighten up the headliner considerably. I was willing to live with the wrinkles before I started installing the moulding, but was pleasantly surprised last night when I noticed this. Just wanted to put this info out there in case anyone else might have headliner questions for a '53.

EDIT: One last thing, for the tack strips - I ordered a set for a 2 door '55 from Ecklers. I had to thin them down using my band saw, but they work great. I fastened them with #8 3/4" self-tapping sheet metal screws and heavy duty adhesive.

Edited by WillBilly53 (see edit history)

Here is a link to some of the saw tooth headliner information I found on the Packard Information site: http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14373&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Good pictures and description. I am planning a headliner replacement in both, the '64 Riviera and the Packard. They are quite different. The Riviera has pressed board tack strips over the windshield and at the rear with U-shaped clip retainers on the roof siderail pinchweld.

I did the Riviera once before, just a color change this time. If the sawtooth arrangement proves to be a PIA on the Packard I will probably just install tack strips. That might be the way to go on your hardtops.

Be careful on this old upholstery work. Breathing the dust and particles can actually cause death. The stuff gets in your warm wet lungs and grows in colonies. Skinned Knuckles Magazine ran an article on pulmonary diseases related to old upholstery once. At least wear a dust mask. There is a two foot diameter sag in the Packard headliner right over the driver's seat. You can feel it has weight. It should be pretty exciting to see what is in there. It will probably look like owl pellets: pellet.jpg If that makes doesn't make you want to buy a pack of dust masks nuthin will.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Great safety points, Bernie and excellent info on the sawtooth retainers.

John, here are a couple of photos. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with the results of my first headliner installation. Finding the receiving end for the molding screws in the roof rail behind the headliner has proven a challenge. I still can't find the last one towards the back on the passenger side. I pulled out one of the staples where the screw should land and felt around with my finger but couldn't find it. I may have to take a drill and make a new one. (You'll notice the wrinkles on that side in one of the photos)

post-31222-143142735575_thumb.jpg

post-31222-143142735582_thumb.jpg

post-31222-143142735584_thumb.jpg

Great safety points, Bernie and excellent info on the sawtooth retainers.

John, here are a couple of photos. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with the results of my first headliner installation. Finding the receiving end for the molding screws in the roof rail behind the headliner has proven a challenge. I still can't find the last one towards the back on the passenger side. I pulled out one of the staples where the screw should land and felt around with my finger but couldn't find it. I may have to take a drill and make a new one. (You'll notice the wrinkles on that side in one of the photos)

That looks like the same perforated vinyl on my 55's. That stuff is the hardest &^%$* to get straight. I had the same wrinkles at the end of the seams and ended up pinning and then sewing. In some cases re-sewing the whole seam since the seems the supplied reproductions are just sort close. Everybody told me that I did a good job on my first headliner....it was my last headliner! My upholstery guy was conveniently sick when I needed it done, but was well enough to give me guidance on sewing overhead.

Willie

That looks like the same perforated vinyl on my 55's. That stuff is the hardest &^%$* to get straight. I had the same wrinkles at the end of the seams and ended up pinning and then sewing. In some cases re-sewing the whole seam since the seems the supplied reproductions are just sort close. Everybody told me that I did a good job on my first headliner....it was my last headliner! My upholstery guy was conveniently sick when I needed it done, but was well enough to give me guidance on sewing overhead.

Willie

Ha! and now I can relate! I don't ever want to do a headliner ever again. No way, no how! Willie, I got mine from Original Auto Interiors. The code is Rec star vinyl 6469 (black)