alsancle

Reo Royale

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Mark,

All those pictures have been around for years.   Is this the one you are talking about?   Looks like a 33.

image.png.779a8d80befc39f9788f9411b1b5e2e9.png

Notice her horns, skirted fenders and wheels disks - wire wheel covers in sidemounts, in addition to Lyon style metal side-mount spare tire covers (with stainless bead on tread cover). 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Notice her horns, skirted fenders and wheels disks - wire wheel covers in sidemounts, in addition to Lyon style metal side-mount spare tire covers (with stainless bead on tread cover). 

Those horns were an option for all three years.  The Lyon's cover is different in 33 than 31/32 with the bead you pointed out,  as is the slope of the radiator and the door handles.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 8:45 PM, alsancle said:

This is an very original convertible coupe that just privately changed hands.   I like the blackwalls and suggested to Bill that they might look good on his car.

Carl-Royale.jpg

I'm in love with this color scheme.  What exactly is going on here - plated spokes and lock ring on black drum and wheel center?  Or are the spokes and lock ring painted silver?

21 hours ago, Justin Kerns said:

I'm in love with this color scheme.  What exactly is going on here - plated spokes and lock ring on black drum and wheel center?  Or are the spokes and lock ring painted silver?

Justin, I am not sure about Reo, but a lot of the manufactures used Stainless spokes (AJ says stainless) -  I would say spokes are stainless if you are looking at an original car (albeit Dayton Wire Wheel does this work every single day).  I have seen 30's cars with plated spokes - they did not hold up well.  Equally, more often than not I see plated spoke nipples and they also do not hold up well.   And, lock rings are generally chrome plated with any Manufacture.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks to both of you.  I wonder if Auburn ever used this scheme?  In any event the Royale is a great car and I would just drive that one the way it is.

16 minutes ago, Justin Kerns said:

Thanks to both of you.  I wonder if Auburn ever used this scheme?  In any event the Royale is a great car and I would just drive that one the way it is.

I would say, Blue and Black was on the  popular list of combinations in earlier 30's and for any manufacturer -  that being said, I would tell you that Black tends to be the most "stable" paint color from the period - a car has to be pretty exceptional original to find anything other than black, as the reds, yellows, and ... all deteriorated pretty quickly.  I do see a fair number of Auburns that have original paint in brown shades. I am wondering if there is a paint booklet/brochure for 31 and 32 Auburn.  I know there is one for 1935/1936 (not sure it is 100% accurate as to what you could actually get, but they at least had one).  And, I know I have seen the paint color list for Cord L-29 and so there must be a booklet/brochure for those cars too. 

Blue and Midnight Blue is also cool. 

Stainless spokes on dark colored wheels are spectacular in certain light conditions and also at night downtown/under street lamps - they give off a flashbulb effect when driving = much the same effect as a flipper bar hubcap. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

What do you make of those driving lights, AJ? They look like they match the headlights fairly well--OEM? A little big, maybe, but the curved lenses and bullet-shaped housings are unusual.

I have a REO question. In the late 1960s my father owned a good-looking unrestored original-condition REO rumble-seat coupe, with a roll-down window between the passenger compartment and rumble seat. I distinctly remember opening the hood and seeing a chrome-plated water jacket cover that said Royale on it. He sold the car while I was in Vietnam, and I have no idea where it is now. However, I've recently been told that the car was actually one of three Flying Clouds built by the factory with Royale engines and front sheet metal, as show cars to bring more attention to the Flying Cloud line. Does anyone know whether this is true? I do remember that the car seemed a little short in the back. Apparently no one in the family ever took a photo of the car.    

• Like 1

An 8-31 Royale (i.e. the shorter wheelbase version of the 8-35) looks a lot like a Flying Cloud.

My last offer for an original set would probably come close.  Fortunately the Royale owners club is doing a reproduction run.