Reo Royale

alsancle

On 2/17/2020 at 11:04 AM, Matt Harwood said:

What do you make of those driving lights, AJ? They look like they match the headlights fairly well--OEM? A little big, maybe, but the curved lenses and bullet-shaped housings are unusual.

You know me,  I would have those off the car with seconds of it hitting my garage.   The Royale guys are having quite the discussion about the sidemount mirrors.

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

You know me,  I would have those off the car with seconds of it hitting my garage.   The Royale guys are having quite the discussion about the sidemount mirrors.

I suspect the discussion probably has to do with just who can remove and throw them away the fastest, eh?

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

The man by the door must be at least 6 foot 3 . Were the vents able to be chromed by the factory? I have not heard of a factory option for REO to have the side-mount covers chromed. If these were options from REO does anyone know the cost back when that was an option? 

There are factory photos showing the full chrome deal on the side mount covers,   as well as fully painted,  but it seems most were chrome outer and painted inner.    Not sure on the doors.  Wouldn't be my choice.

On 4/7/2020 at 2:13 PM, zepher said:

Is that how they delivered cars back to the owners after service or repairs?

Yes, in large cities with decent climates such as Los Angeles 

Funny story, I was sitting with friends and he was talking about door service being started up again with Lincoln and my dad replied that it was a shame they discontinued such in the first place as his parents were loyal Lincoln/Mercury customers, but he doubts they ever set foot in a dealership - the dealer came to their house and dropped off cars to try and also came and picked-up/dropped-off for repairs.  And that if the dealer had stopped doing that he doubted they would have continued with Lincoln/mercury ownership.  Perhaps varied per city, but dad thought a standard practice and they were doing it into the early 1970's. 

Found another photo of that Rio Rancho, NM Royale that sold at the Silver Auctions January Arizona sale last year. Yeah, keeps turning up like a bad penny, but I like it. Somebody must have said: "Just mess around with some different shades of blue to give it some pizzazz."

See the source image

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

Found another photo of that Rio Rancho, NM Royale that sold at the Silver Auctions January Arizona sale last year. Yeah, keeps turning up like a bad penny, but I like it. Somebody must have said: "Just mess around with some different shades of blue to give it some pizzazz."

Just lose the powder blue and that is a different car.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Just lose the powder blue and that is a different car.

Just loose the powder blue on the grill and hood louvers and it is a whole different car - I would probably drive it around the block once and then I would be digging in to correct cosmetics. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Just loose the powder blue on the grill and hood louvers and it is a whole different car - I would probably drive it around the block once and then I would be digging in to correct cosmetics. 

The grill came black, body color or chrome.   Black would be fine or the dark blue.   Dayton will do those wheels for around 7k with new stainless spokes and powder coated the rim and hub to dark blue.   Another 1k for black walls.   For about 10k that car would be 1 million percent better.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Shame that the Pierce Arrows are blocking the view of the attractive cars.

Wrong......you have very poor taste.

REO: = Rancid Emaciated Obnoxious.............says it all. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

This isn't legit, right? A knowledgeable owner probably would not have listed it as an automatic transmission with zero description.

https://www.oldcaronline.com/1932-Reo-Royale-Driggs-ID-for-sale-ID934247.htm

It is legit.  Bill Barker is a good guy and knowledgeable about the car.  His dad owned about 6 Royale's at one point.   I'm sure that is just mistype.

Btw,  I made the 13 hour trip (in one direction) to Driggs to see the car so I can help anybody with questions.

934247_16.jpg

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

AJ....you NEED that car!

Great idea Ed.    It occurred to me looking at Bill's pictures that he needs to let someone else take them.   this is a fantastic long low car.  But you would never know it from his advertisement.

934247_18.jpg

• Haha 1

Nice car, the top came out well and you know where you stand parts wise and ... - it does need the parking lamps, lock rings chromed, metal sidmount spare tire covers,  better choice in tires, pinstriped, whatever the two holes in the rear tub fitted with chromed or painted plugs, maybe a luggage rack, and I get the impression a substantial number of small projects.  Also, not easy being green, but does have a decent enough "period" look.   Via terminology from card game Euchre - "PICK IT UP" 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

4 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Nice car, the top came out well and you know where you stand parts wise and ... - it does need the parking lamps, lock rings chromed, metal sidmount spare tire covers,  better choice in tires, pinstriped, whatever the two holes in the rear tub fitted with chromed or painted plugs, maybe a luggage rack, and I get the impression a substantial number of small projects.  Also, not easy being green, but does have a decent enough "period" look.   Via terminology from card game Euchre - "PICK IT UP" 

We should start a collection.  Imagine the difference in appearance if those wheels were given to Dayton and they were painted hubs, rims with stainless spokes and chrome snap rings.  Not to mention a decent tread blackwall tire.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, alsancle said:

We should start a collection.  Imagine the difference in appearance if those wheels were given to Dayton and they were painted hubs, rims with stainless spokes and chrome snap rings.  Not to mention a decent tread blackwall tire.

That really would add to its looks !!!

On 5/22/2020 at 12:48 PM, John_Mereness said:

Dave Marshall form AACA Facebook page

Dave has been documenting his restoration to the Royale owners.   We get periodic updates (maybe once a week).  I believe that is original paint.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Gary and the boys at Dayton do great work. And in the last ten years, they are the only outside supplier I have ever worked with that always got things done on time, on budget, and made things easy.

• Like 3