42 Cabriolet body question

Joeys1942

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted on here, haven't done much with my 42 since last fall. The question I post today, it's my understanding that the body is welded to the frame on my 42 Cabriolet....henceforth there is no "frame off" restoration. Someone I've spoken to, who says there completed 100 plus restorations, and wants the job of doing some of the restoration is trying to say otherwise, and I know this Lincoln forum is reliable and knowledagble. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted on here, haven't done much with my 42 since last fall. The question I post today, it's my understanding that the body is welded to the frame on my 42 Cabriolet....henceforth there is no "frame off" restoration. Someone I've spoken to, who says there completed 100 plus restorations, and wants the job of doing some of the restoration is trying to say otherwise, and I know this Lincoln forum is reliable and knowledagble. Thanks in advance!

"Joeys1942-- I owned for about 9 years, #H131762 "42 Cabriolet. I torn it down as far as possible,and yes the body was welded to the frame and there

was no gain to "chip" the welds open. The worst sheetmetal rust was the trunk floor. Leaving the body on the frame will insure the doors stay in alighment.

Remove engine,trans,and all running gear;and set body high on 4-6 sturdy jack stands. Remove everything, TAG everything! Also take MANY Pictures!

Have fun!!!! Larry Butcher

Guest 39 Pickup

I remember years ago someone removed the body from the frame and had a lot of trouble getting everything to line up when it was time to put it back together again. Save yourself and your body man a lot of trouble and expense and leave the body on the frame.

I am new to the 42 world and after looking at a lot of pictures some cars don't have chrome strips on the bustle next to the lower grills but most do. when was change over? Mine appears to not have but haven't looked at backside of panel to see if holes were ever there for the chrome strips.

All 42 Lincolns had the 6 chrome bands. I had the last one built before the war January26,1942 and it had different lower trim on the fender-rocker panels and skirts but it had the 6 bands. Lee Waldren

Guest 39 Pickup

If you have the intake with the heater box for the Siskel (sp) automatic choke, you have a rare item. The carb should be the same as manual choke cars, just new linkage from automatic choke to carb.

Guest 39 Pickup

I don' think they were recalled, but they were only used in the Continental and the Custom. Manifold should be polished for both models.