Sign in to follow this  
lmadsen

47 chrysler

I have a 1947 chrysler that has the fluid drive transmission. Lately after the transmission shifts to third gear and it won't stay it shifts back down to second. Is there an adjustment or something that needs to be cleaned that would resolve this problem. The car is not driveable under these circumstances.

Thanks

Larry

It sounds like the governor isn't working right. I'm assuming you have the M4 transmission. Does it do this in both high and low ranges? Depending on how you number the gears, low range would be 1st and 2nd, high range would be 3rd and 4th.

It sounds like the governor isn't working right. I'm assuming you have the M4 transmission. Does it do this in both high and low ranges? Depending on how you number the gears, low range would be 1st and 2nd, high range would be 3rd and 4th.

It only does it in high range and that would be 3rd and 4th. If it is the governor can you explain where and it is and what I can possibly do to fix the issue.

Thank you

Larry

Check the oil in the trans first, top up with 10 motor oil or TDH tractor fluid, ISO22 or ISO32 grade. Also check wiring from the coil, to the carburetor, to the transmission. Sometimes they get frayed or broken.

Check the oil in the trans first, top up with 10 motor oil or TDH tractor fluid, ISO22 or ISO32 grade. Also check wiring from the coil, to the carburetor, to the transmission. Sometimes they get frayed or broken.

Thank you very much for the information. I found that the wire was disconnected at the carburetor. Reconnected and every thing works great. Thank you again.

Larry