Power Steering Pressure Switch Removal

johnemac

The pressure switch looks like it is in a daunting location and some suggest one goes to remove it from below. I had already removed the wheel and had it jacked up when I realized there had to be an easier way. I used the jack to lower the car so the front brake rotor was about 5 inches above the ground and found it was a very simple job from the top reaching down along the transmission level tube. Plenty of room to use a wrench and see what needs to be done. Even easier would have been not removing the wheel but just standing on something like a 4x4.

• Like 1

Thank you for starting this thread. My problem is not the switch but I am guessing too high of pressure.

Last January I bought Kingsley's Reatta and have been driving it since but the steering is way easier than it should be. I have gotten used to it and when driving some of my other Reattas with normal steering they seem hard to steer. I am pretty sure if I keep driving it this way I might blow out some seals in the rack and pinion and then I will have a big job on my hands.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of a pressure relief valve somewhere in the system?

Jim, I hope you find a way to adjust the pressure. If you do please let me know. I have the opposite problem to yours. I drove Dave's 89 Reatta and compared to my '88 it is easier to steer. Mine isn't really hard but if I could adjust it to be a little easier I would.

Guest Kingsley
This one is really easy. Too easy until you get used to it.

I could sit stopped and with my little finger and very little pressure turn the wheels lock to lock.

Jim - you have just burst my bubble! I thought it was my heavy muscular build that made for such easy turning!

Kingsley

Jim - you have just burst my bubble! I thought it was my heavy muscular build that made for such easy turning!

Kingsley

I guess just watching those testosterone commercials on TV has given us more strength. :)

The PS pressure switch basically tells the ECM to raise the idle speed a bit. This might be needed when, say, trying to turn the steering wheel at idle with the A/C turned on.

BTW, since the Reatta has the FE3 suspension, its steering ratio is a bit faster than, say, a Riv with the standard FE1 suspension.

• Like 1