Sign in to follow this  
30DodgePanel

Old Dealerships & Buildings

The topic of early dealerships and buildings is like watching paint dry for some but for others like myself it's interesting. I thought some of you would enjoy.

If you have any photos you would like to share feel free to post.

If you have questions in regards to dealerships please post and maybe we can find answers.

Personally, I've been doing research on a Dodge Brothers dealership in Pittsfield MA. from 1927-1931 named McConnel Motors Inc. located at 14 Maplewood Ave. in Pittsfield. The owner was Walter L. McConnel, he also owned a service station at 164 Wahconah that was located around the corner from the Dodge dealership in Pittsfield MA also.

If anyone has any photos (historic or current photos), literature or finds anything on this dealership or service station and it's owner I would be interested in any items if you would be willing to share/sell. Thank you

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Have you tried the local library or historical society? Sometimes long established newspapers have old photo files.

Have you tried the local library or historical society? Sometimes long established newspapers have old photo files.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes I have, the historical society are the ones who provided me the information to this point. They found a Pittsfield MA directory from 1928 that shows the owners name, the locations of these business's along with his home address as being 96 Howard St. The advertisement also listed the phone numbers for both locations so it's a good start. Now that I've confirmed it existed I was hoping to find photographs and any literature for further documentation. Ultimately I'm trying to track down the history of my truck and was hoping someone somewhere could offer more clues. Old photos and literature answer many questions at times and was hoping someone had photos of this old dealership.

When I go to google maps I can see the locations from street level, there's a small brick building at 14 Maplewood that looks like it could have been one of these early dealerships but I was hoping I could hunt down a photo or literature that proves that this is the building. I've also tried Berkshire county accessor office but they only go back so far.

The service station location on Wahconah is an empty lot currently.

I will try the newspaper also, thanks again for the suggestion.

If you enjoy photos of old garages and dealerships, the three photos below show you just a small sampling of the 77 pages filled with photos of them that you can find on The Old Motor.

reedbros12.jpg

Hud1.jpg

Euclid1.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Keep them coming, it may help others who need answers. Dodge Brothers and Graham Brothers are of especially high interest during the period of 1926-1933

Here's a Packard dealership in Phoenix AZ. Circa 1928 that may help someone.

http://mmm.lib.msu.edu/record.php?id=25809

EB01e918.jpg

Here is a modern day photo of the red brick building I'm trying to find historic photos of in Pittsfield MA located at 14 Maplewood Ave.

Funny, most of these buildings are a lot smaller than I imagined they would be...

The building sits just to the west or right of the St Josephs High School. If anyone has any old photos of this location I would be very interested in seeing them.

post-69994-143142590563_thumb.png